1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrading my rig for more headroom.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Serob90, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Serob90

Serob90

Jun 5, 2014
    Yarmouth, Maine
    I currently play through a PF350 and PF115HE.. It sounds okay, but I notice clipping/farting with high gain on the 15", and it's not quite as loud as I'd like it to be. Fine for practicing but not quite enough for gigs...

I was looking at the SVT7 PRO, and it seems to have all of the features I'm looking for. Now I'm considering a couple things if I get this head...

If i get a pf210 to pair with my 115, is the wattage from the head going to be too much for them still?

Would I be better off selling the 115 and buying a classic 410 or 610?

Any advice on piecing together a new rig would be well received.

Thanks

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lots of stuff on this - many people abhor mixing speaker sizes, somelike it. YMMV.

Rather than a 4x10, consider a pair of 2x10s. Then you can stack, carry easier, or just bring one cabfor smaller gigs.

3. Serob90

Serob90

Jun 5, 2014
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Thanks for your reply! Your advice is duly noted, however, money is infact an object, so having already owned the 115, I'm wondering is the difference is worth the loss I would take by selling the 115. Is 2x 210 overall more commonly preferred, and generally deemed superior? I suppose I'm asking for an objective answer to a subjective question...

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Personally, I love my Trace Elliot 15. Some swear by 12s, and 10s are always popular. I would
    1 search the threads on speaker mixing
    2 Try out different setups to see what is cool to your ears.

Check out used stuff here, and if you are ever in CT you can check my rigs. I have a 2x10 combo which pairs w a 15, and a Carvin head which I love.

5. Why not keep the 115 you have and just get a second and stack them.

6. Serob90

Serob90

Jun 5, 2014
    Yarmouth, Maine
    I have no reason not to! I am just a bit overwhelmed with the options.

If I did that, should I get an identical cab, the PF 115HE?

7. Serob90

Serob90

Jun 5, 2014
    Yarmouth, Maine
    As a side note, the kind of tone I'd like to achieve can be heard on Paul Simon;s 'Graceland' though I play mostly progressive metal and jazz fusion. I'm very fond of Sean Malone's tone from (Cynic, Gordian Knot, Aghora) as well.

I'm not sure if 15s or 10s are more conducive to achieving that kind of tone, obviously much of it comes from the bass itself, being fretless in both cases. I currently play an ESP LTD F5-E

8. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I've got a steal on a GK rig with a 115 combo and a 410 powered cab that chains to it, if you wanted to pair this, it worked great for me...

9. I don't have those amps or cabinets, but this is everything I've gathered from reading these forums and the manuals:

- Two 210 cabinets are preferred because of the portability for the most part. Easier to lug around, or just use one in smaller venues.

- The PF350 is sending 250watts to your PF115HE 8 Ohm Cabinet. Get another PF115HE (if you like the sound from it), now your amp is outputting 350watts at 4 Ohms - split between the cabinets. However, you're now pushing more air, more volume. Having them stacked, now the top cabinet is closer to your ears, which is also good.

- If you get the SVT-7PRO head, it's outputting 600watts to your PF115HE cabinet which is rated at 400 watts maximum. According to this thread, it's probably not wise even with two cabinets. The cabinets won't have the headroom. So now you'll have to consider buying new cabinets too or risk over powering your current one.

- Now if you used your PF350 with PF115HE, and then got a PF-210HE, it might not be too much of a problem (heck, they use the same manual). What I've noticed is that they have a "crossover" dial, and each is rated slightly different in frequencies (the 210 being a bit higher). According to the manual, that head and those cabinets are meant for each other.

Personally, I'd check out getting another cabinet. Probably the 210, and see how that fairs with the 115. Turn off the High Frequencies on the 115, turn it up on the 210. And, of course, I could be wrong about everything I wrote.

10. Hard decisions and it depends on music style etc but 2 x 15's can certainly work ....

Try for the same because it reduces the variables in the sound chain

Old school use to be 4 x 10 stacked on a 1 x 15

I used two Marshall cabs like that and it's ok but not great..

11. If that head is biamped you may get a 2x10 but I doubt it will give you much real headroom. If its not biamped,, your going to fart out either the 2x10 or the 15 yrying to get thst headroom. My advice is keep your 15 and get another 15, preferably the same 15 if you want to keep your sound.

12. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Get another PF115. Solved.

13. Serob90

Serob90

Jun 5, 2014
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Sounds like I'll be going the Geddy Lee route and sticking with 15's. I'll get the cab first and try out a few different amps. I'd like try the SVT7 Pro, SVT4, and a couple GK heads (550 fusion, rb700 II) before I decide on the former.

14. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. that would probably be the most logical, seeing as you have a uniquely designed 15 (sealed cab, etc) ...

... as you mentioned, much of your questions will get subjective answers, so deciding which is 'superior', is only something you can decide ...

... with that said, IF you want to do some 'testing', try to find a PF-210 (used?) and compare (or possibly new as a trial?) which YOU prefer, and then duplicate that cab of preference for a second cab ... your asking if you should get a Classic 410 or 610 will get you quite different sounding cabs, especially with the ported 610, maybe not so much with the 410 (if you get the sealed), but with that you will still only have an 8 ohm cab, and with the PF-350, 250 watts (although you will be louder with the increased speaker surface) as mentioned above in an earlier post ...

IF you are happy with your sound currently, just need more power, that second PF-115 will bring you to a 4 ohm load on the head, to 350 watts (as mentioned above), and doubling the speaker surface .. it will also afford you modularity for smaller shows/rehearsal where the 115 will suffice ... ideally, trying to find a used PF-115 will be the least expensive route to go, added to what you already have ... but, with that said, IF you will always be wondering if the 210 or 115 route is better suited for you, it may be the time to get that out of your system and answer the question now ... IF you can find a used cab, it will minimize $$ loss should you decide to move something along after your experimentation ..

... good luck in your search ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  15. Yes, get the second 15 cab first, make sure your good with the ohms rating so you dont fry your amp. you should hear a significant increase in volume. If you need more, the you need more amp, just plan on buying more efficient cabs later tho.

16. Serob90

Serob90

Jun 5, 2014
    Yarmouth, Maine
    thanks for all the great advice, now one more question... Would a 500w be sending 250w to each cab? Should I perhaps be looking at a 5-600w head to go with the 2 115s? I was looking at the GK 550 Fusion...

17. If the ohms rating is equal, the power shud be distributed equally on the 15s.

18. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    not to sound condescending ... but, how about try what you get with the second cab added and then re-evaluate IF you have a need for more ... the learning process along the way will be of great value to you in the future, if you change too many things at once, you really wont know what did what ... besides, you mentioned $$ was a concern ... ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  19. Dont have an experience with the fusion, but GK power rating are usually underrated. my main rig is an old GK 400rb running 180 Watts into an 8 ohm SWR 410 cab and its all the power id ever need.

20. Good advice on adding the second cabinet and THEN deciding if another amp is needed. A second speaker producing sound will add a lot of volume. Also, don't forget about EQ'ing to cut through the mix. Sub-50HZ looks great on a spec sheet, but a boost in the 80 to 100 HZ range really does a lot to be heard in a band. The big plus is that it won't suck the amp dry of power like the the very low frequencies.