Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading Passive P pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mystral Hawk, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Mystral Hawk

Mystral Hawk

Feb 10, 2006
    Hey everyone, Im new to this forum and just wanted to give you a little intro before I go into my topic. I have a 4 string MIM Fender Standard P-Bass with some Rotosound Swingbass 66's through a Crate BX50. Im into bands like Muse, Incubus, NIN, and some other. I play mostly rock. I plan to upgrade my bridge to a Badass Bridge II and replace the pickups (which is the hard part.)

I was planning on upgrading my pickups somewhere down the road...like 3-4 months from now and from what I read, most people like the EMG's, Barts, and Seymour Duncans. However, I would probably like to keep my Bass passive (for no particular reason besides Im lazy) and wanted to ask people what pickups they would recommend from the three companies I listed. Im leaning towards EMG cause I hear they're cheap and decent but would like to get more input.

Also just wondering where you guys buy your parts. Im located in Maryland.

I just saw these pickups and Im interested...anyone have anything to say about them?
    DiMarzio DP127 Split P Replacement Pickup for Fender P Bass for 70$
    EMG PHZ's
    Seymour Duncan's Quarter Pounders

Thank you all in advanced for your help and I look forward to your responses.

2. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    well i have a fender standard MIM p bass aswell.

i installed some dimarzio will power middles in it and got a nice bassy punchy tone
    aswell as a nice trebely tone too.

they are billy sheehans pro model pup.

i highly recomend them and they are only 70 bux USD

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Right now Reverend is closing out P-bass pickups for $18. These are exceptional pickups, easily worth three or four times the price they are asking. I put one in a franken bass I have and it sounds tremendous. Lookfor the thread here. Fuzzbass has a set of EMGs for P-bass that you might like that he's been trying to unload at GTGs for a while now.

4. Mystral Hawk

Mystral Hawk

Feb 10, 2006
    Thanks for all your help so far guys. Hope to see some more.

5. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    I replaced the pickup in my Fender P-bass a while ago with a Seymour-Duncan Antiquity II pickup. Sounds very cool, very passive, very warm and punchy. It is the '60 sound and look.

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    IMHO for the kind of music you're into, I would suggest the DiMarzio. :hyper:

7. Mystral Hawk

Mystral Hawk

Feb 10, 2006
    any particular reason?

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Higher output than most others-meaning you wouldn't have to go active, unless you wanted to.

Good clear tone all across the spectrum.

Again, this is just my humble opinion. Good luck with whatever you cjoose.

9. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    if you want a strong midrange and punch definately go with the dimarzios. i have a p/j set and they are a great upgrade that wont cost an arm and a leg

10. Mystral Hawk

Mystral Hawk

Feb 10, 2006
    Ive just decided today when I went to the guitar center to get some EMG's for my pbass...and will probably upgrade it to be active. So thanks you all for your help.