1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrading Peavey Millenium AC BXP pre amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Drmr to Bass, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Drmr to Bass

Drmr to Bass

Nov 10, 2016
    I've just acquired a peavey millenium ac bxp bass bass (imported version) with the active vfl humbuckers pickups and cirrus preamp. It has volume, pickup blend, treble, mid, and bass knobs. I want to upgrade the preamp with the millenium usa preamp. Will that preamp work with the current pickups and setup without having to make significant changes?

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I've been thinking of doing this myself and just tried the fit. Both preamps and the pickups are 18V so I see no reason they won't work together. I'm pretty sure the Millennium AC preamp and pickups are the same as the import Cirrus and the module preamp the same as the USA Cirrus circuit board version.

All the pots line up. The hole for the Mid/Shift pot will need to be enlarged to a little over 3/8" diameter for it's larger bushing. I used a reamer but it can be drilled. Two corners of the PCB and one control plate boss on the body needs to be trimmed for the pre to go in the pocket. The PCB can be trimmed with a small pair of wire cutters. Needless to say none of the hardware/knobs fit so I won't be finishing this up for a while, if I do, and don't know about how well the wire lengths work.

If you don't already have a Millennium USA preamp, good luck finding one. They are no longer available from Peavey.

Millenium ac-USA Pre-1000-text.