Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading Pickups and Preamp on Lakland 55-01?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-freq, May 9, 2004.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    This past week, I got the idea to get a 55-01 (possibly used) and upgrade the pickups (to whichever Bart *CX model pups fit) and upgrade the preamp (possibly to an Aguilar OBP-3).

I think it would make a "boutique-killer", great sounding bass at a very reasonable (non-boutique bass) price.

[I love Lakland's fiver necks.]

Anyone out there done anything like this or have comments on the pros/cons of this idea (especially with experience using the Bart *CX pups)?

2. I have a 55-01, and just replaced the preamp with a Bart NTMB after the original got fried in a freak battery accident. ;)

It took a while to get the preamp, so it's hard to give really good "before" and "after" descriptions, but it seems to me the upgrade smoothed out the highs a bit so it was a little less harsh. The switchable midrange frequency is nice, too, as is the true passive mode option. The original pickups actually sound quite good, and I'd definately try upgrading just the preamp before deciding to swap out the pickups as well.

I'll probably end up selling mine sometime soon, though, just because I've acquired way too much gear lately...

Mike

3. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    If you don't buy one with the upgrades in place you can send it to the Lakland factory and they will do it for 200.00. I would say that is the absolute best thing to do.

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have a 55-01 Deluxe with the USA Bart NTMB preamp and quilted maple top. I replaced the bridge pickup with an original MM5 humbucker that I bought for $30.00! I also installed a series/parallel switch for the MM5 pickup. Of course you have to be comfortable taking a router to your bass before you consider something like this. My observations about my bass were;
    -with the bridge pickup favored it sounds just like a Ray
    -with the blend pot centered it sounds like a cross between a 55-01 and a 55-02
    -with the neck pickup favored it sounds like a 55-01
    It looks pretty cool too. :bassist:

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    The only thing I have to say is that the Neck and Fretwork will NEVER COMPAIR on a 55-01 to a GOOD Custom bass. I have a 55-01 and Love it, but I also have a Peavey Cirrus 6 string and the way the action on the Cirrus and the feel of it... It blows away the 55-01 action/Fretwork.

But speaking from a SOUND prespective... Heck yeah it would!!