Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading pickups for Washburn XB 100

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J.R.1, Aug 15, 2004.

1. J.R.1

J.R.1

Aug 7, 2004
    Any suggestions on pickups for this bass? Is it worth upgrading? any and all opinions welcome! :bassist:

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I grabbed one of these as a beater (picked it up for $61 in a uBid auction about 3 years ago), and the woods were surprisingly good. The body is made of some type of Korean mahogany. The neck is slimmer than a Fender P. Tuners (Grover) and fretwork were fine. But the electronics were, IMHO, some of the worst I've ever seen.

So I tossed a SD Quarter-Pounder (SBP-3) into it, and rewired the bass with new pots, jack & wiring from basspartsresource.com. While I was at it, I shielded the cavity. Threw some flats on it. Probably about $90 total for the upgrades.

Now my bandmates start to get a troubled look on their faces if I don't bring it along. I'd gig with it anywhere.

One small word of advice - the pots on that bass are SO cheap, if you order new ones, order knobs while you're at it. The pots you'll pull out are so puny, the existing knobs won't fit on a standard set.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    J.R.1 I dunno your bass to be of any help with what parts to suggest, but I would advise to try buying your pickups secondhand. That way you can experiment a bit and sell them off again for minimal loss, or even keep something you really like and put it into a different bass later and flog off the Washburn in original trim.

luknfur has a series of threads recently where he tried a few different types of pickups (preamps too). Worth a read. Search for " Dimento's "

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think EMG hz's or DC40's will fit in there. They will on my washburn.