Upgrading pickups on Steinberger Spirit

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassdr, Dec 20, 2000.

1. I bought one of those wooden steinberger spirits recently, can't beat the price for a "decent" second bass. I have been happy with the action but am thinking of upgrading the pickups. Does anyone have an online source for replacement pickups that would fit this bass?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The only direct fit is the active EMG model HB (what was used in graphite Steinbergers). Not too many people carry these, not a lot of demand, eh? Contact EMG about ordering direct.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The EMG-HB's are pretty cool, but I think there are a few others that will fit. The EMG-HB's are the same size as guitar humbuckers, so a Rio Grande Pitbull should fit. Bartolini probably makes something in that size, but I'm not sure. I had a Washburn Steinberger copy with EMG-HB's in it, and they are pretty nice, especially if you're looking for that clean, "hi-tech" sound.
  4. Thanks for the info. The EMG website states that these are not suitable for a 5 string, which is what I have, I think I'll try the others and see if they will work for 5. I just realized that this thread probably should have gone in the pickups forum. Oh, well. A "new guy" mistake.