1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrading PJB rig or trying Bergantino NV610?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Helix85, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Helix85

Helix85

Apr 28, 2008
    Hey fellow TBers!

Hoping I could get some advice on buying some new gear or adding to my current rig.

I'm actually pretty happy with my current rig: a Sadowsky Metro vintage 4-string through a PJB M-500 with Piranha 6T and 9B cabs. I play in a rock/pop covers band, with fairly wide range of old and new material. I just seem to have GAS lately... :help:

I love the basic PJB sound when played at lower volumes, and the rig is certainly great for hearing myself on stage - something I found lacking when I played through an Ampeg 8x10 rig once before. My problem is that when venturing out front in larger venues this tone doesn't carry so well. It's lacking in volume unless really cranked, say on 8 or 9/10 on the master, and in doing so it can end up sounding slightly thin, harsh, and lacking in bass and warmth.

I do always have PA support but going through two Mackie subs with 4x12" drivers each, tends to muddy the sound quite a bit. My issue is that it seems pointless to have a tight, super-clean amp, using those 5" drivers, if most of the definition this provides is masked by the PA system.

The sound in my head is a warmer, fuller, punchy sound with the option of a bit of grind when needed. I'm wondering whether simply adding another PJB cab, such as a Neo 12B, can provide this extra volume and more importantly, the low end definition out front. Can someone with a bigger PJB rig advise on this? As an aside, I've recently bought a Tech21 VT-bass pedal to add some grind. Still experimenting with this.

On the other hand, I could go in a totally different direction and get bigger cab for the £1000 a PJB Neo 12B would cost. I've never owned an Ampeg stack or tube rig of any kind, but they would seem to provide the sound I'm after. Reading on here, the NV610 seems to be among the best big cabs to get that Ampeg 8x10 sound. (Perhaps I'm ruling a smaller rig out prematurely, e.g. Markbass F500 with Berg AE410? But I suspect I'd be duplicating, because the PJB can do clean and punchy pretty well..)

Can anyone recommend a nice head to match the Berg NV610? Money isn't really an issue, and I'd rather not go for a vintage used head for reliability reasons.

Sorry for the long post, any advice is welcome!

2. Helix85

Helix85

Apr 28, 2008
    Bump

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I love gear threads where money isn't an issue!:hyper:

My 3 cents: NV 610 and DB750. Boring, I know, but I've played my rig @ several outdoor shows and the sound guy(s) said that they barely had to put me in the mains (one show not at all). Works for me. Disclaimer is that I have 0 experience with PJB gear.

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    If you go with an NV610, you owe it to yourself to experiment with an all-tube amp. Mesa 400+, Ampeg SVT, Trace Elliot V-8(?), Sunn, Peavey, Fender, Aguilar, Orange...

Great cabs for tube amps.

5. I'm a PJB nut, but the stuff you're playing{in my opinion}does not do well with that rig. Jazz,funk,fusion-that's a whole different ball park. A Db750 with 610 would be well suited and have plenty of head room for the rock genre.