Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading power output...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hategear, May 5, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have an amp that runs it's best at 2 ohms. At the designated 2 ohms, it puts out 300 watts. Is it possible to "upgrade" this amp to put out 500 (or more) watts at 2 ohms? I have called some electronics shops and music stores around me, but have not found anyone willing or able to do this for me. Maybe I am just a feeb?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    An amp is designed for a specific power output and has components and circuitry to achieve that end. It simply isn't economical to do what you propose, and in most cases, not really logically possible - think of it as taking the 4 cylinder engine in your car and asking a mechanic to make it a 6 cylinder so you could have more power.

Your best bet is to find a suitable higher powered amp and sell what you have to put the $$ towards it.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hmmmmm...there are things you can do to make your 4 cylinder have more power though.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Sure, on the input side you can enhance the carb or fuel injection system for higher air and fuel flow or pressure, and on the output side use exhaust systems to optimize back pressure.

Similarly, if your bass or amp's preamp isn't providing enough feed to the power section, you can use an active bass or external preamp, though it is seldom necessary, and too much power will just result in distortion.

On the output side you can use more efficient speaker systems to maximize the db output per watt.

But in both cases, there are limitations... the power amp and auto engine both have them.

...and I'm trying to enlighten you so you don't waste your time or money. If there were such easy drop-in solutions they would be available.

Power amps are inexpensive these days, $$ per watt. Go to separates, preamp and power amp, and you have the maximum flexibility.

See my rig at www.gollihur.com/bass.html

2400 watts seems to be enough, for me, anyway. ;-)>