Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading pups.....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Sep 9, 2005.

1. I'm looking at upgrading the pups in an all maple PJ bass (Godin Freeway 4, rock maple neck, leaf maple body).

I need something that's deep, yet will also growl when used into an all tube head. It'll primarily be used for metal and punk, but also needs to cover blues , blues rock, and hard rock.

No actives please.....that'll be for my next bass.

The one's I've been looking at are some Duncan Quarter Pound P & J pups, does anyone have any opinions on them? Do they balance nice together? How do they handle pick, fingerstyle, and slap n' pop?

Other suggestions? Other manufacturers?

Also, what are some opinions on various active EQs? I'm not sure I want them in this particular bass, but I'm keeping my mind open.

Thanks,

SD

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Wouldn't all basses growl with an all tube head?

Use the search feature on the EQing. You have a LOT of options and most of them cost. I'd look into a graphic EQ if your head doesn't offer it. Usually a good place to start in place/before onboard EQing (of which I am also a fan).

Not sure about the Duncans. I know they offer 3 distinct versions of the Quarter Pounders (I believe). Ranging from vintage, to 70's p-bass rockin, to modern super aggresive. You'd probably want the middle one.

Try and find a PJ combo, if you have a PJ bass. They'll be better matched than individual pickups paired together that might have volume and hum issues.

-Eric.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven't tried the SD QP P/J combo, although the J is single coil so that's worth remembering.

The Dimarzio P/J set are very agressive sounding pickups, both pickups are humbuckers.

4. Hmm.

I thought P pickups were also single coils? Are they stacked humbuckers? Or something else?

I'll start reading up on DiMarzio too.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes and no. The standard P is two single coils, making it a split coil humbucker.

6. Ok....I think I have it worked out on how they'd do that.

The noise would be picked up by both coils, and the coils would be phased so the noise cancels itself out....but since the strings signal is only on one coil it wouldn't be cancelled out by the other coil.....

....I think.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i love the nordstrand j pups. i have used them in many basses