Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upgrading RAM (computer dudes help!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Ok, I'm getting tired of this petty 128MB RAM, and I want to upgrade to 512MB, but I'm not sure which type I'm supposed to get :confused:

If it helps I run a 1GHz Compaq (bleh) with an AMD Athlon Processor.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    go to www.crucial.com use the config thing to find out what type you need. then go find the best price!

edit: JMX is right, go search for good ram at the best price, not the cheap crap.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Buy brand-name ram, if you buy noname ram, you'll regret it.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    hey jr..

If you have an Athlon running.. more than likely u are using a 266MHz DDR Chip..

I would NOT recommend using Crucial... I've dealt with them many times and I've gotten screwed once and my friend did also...

Currently, I use OCZ 333MHz PC2700 DDR Rams and they work FANTASTIC! I recommend going there..

If you have any other questions, IM me on AIM or just reply

DM

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That's why I said use the config thingy (some other places have this as well) then search for a better price elsewhere. I guess I didn't make that clear enough, sorry!

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    bliss: im talking about the ram itself... we had 3-4 rams that didn't even work!!

DM

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    bliss: Jr said that he has a Compaq Presario 5000 Series WV294.. I looked it up on the Crucial website and those hold 168pin Dimms... ick.. PC133 is the way I guess

8. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    if you are someone who doesn't know jack about PCs and PC upgrading. maybe you should just ask your manufacturer's assistance on your problem. if anything happens from them helping you especially if using ram purchased from them, then they'll have to fix it if anything bad happens. if you use ram not sold through the manufacturer you could risk your warrenty on the machine. if it was bought at the store, then i don't know how that works. i'm all for learning by trial and error, that and school is how i learned about working on PCs, but if you are too tight on cash to by a new PC and this is your only PC you should check with the manufacturer for upgrade parts and pay the extra $$ there, or at least look at the specs on your PC or get them from compaq before you do anything with ram. you have different types of ram. also addressing what someone else previously mentioned, you MAY, i repeat MAY HAVE DDR, you could very well likely have SD-RAM as well. if you upgrad remember to look at the number of slots in your PC and get ram of equal amount in each slot if you aren't dumping a 512mb card in one slot. i'm not sure on this, i have one pro tell me you need to have the ram all equal in the slots, because it is accessed in sequence, then i have them telling me it doesn't matter. on the safe side it couldn't hurt to have ram inserted in equal alotments per slot. if you have two or three slots i would have 256MB in each slot, unless you have one 128MB stick installed for that 128mbs you already have, then i would just get more 128MB sticks at the proper type and Mhz rating to install, you'll save some $ you'll still have more than enough ram. even if you went to a gig of ram you would still never get all the power of your processor, most ppl never use it to the limit. also 128mb is enough to run most apps so what are you doing that is giving you memory leaks and what are you running for an Operating System (OS)? windows? which version of windows (they behave slighty different from each other)? chances are, it night not be a problem of enough ram, but how how you use the machine. you could just have alot of memory leaks, and you could get a free program off the net to free your ram up. but again that suggestion depends on your version of windows, if that is what you are running. it's always a comprimise of your processor, your ram, your OS and its interaction with your apps. if your processor is slow but you beef it up with ram you get an illusion of more speed in the case of the person with the 333hz PC (which shows most new computers are over powered if he getting such performance) you have alot of power in your athlon. it could be ram, could be apps and mem leaks because of the OS and apps, could be your processor is not getting enough circulation, AMDs ESPECIALLY ATHLONS are power hogs, suck up the juice and put out alot of heat. you always see big fans in AMD systems to counter act that cause they have a tendency to go thermal. i would just get a pci slot fan for more air with that upgrade.

make sure you aren't smoking or cooking greesy foods if you live in a small area with your PC running , give it a good cleaning (to prevent dirt from laying on the processor and causing it to go thermal), get the proper type of ram, and if you are running 98se, get a ramboost program off c-net. you can set the program to act on automatic settings, or manually check when progress gets slow. i used it in 98se and set for manual. worked just fine. it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some patches of nylon from old nylons and panty hose. they have a great micro weaving on them. you tape some in place around the vents in your tower, it will act as a bug net and a dust filter. my old instructor at DeVry told me that one. it's worked for me. i don't hvae to clean my system as much

9. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    before i get trashed for mentioning greesy food, yes they can cause a greesy residue on a processor. the layer holds in heat, and it causes it to go thermal.

i live in a one bedroom apt. no matter where your PC is, the fan sucks in particles in the air. i cook a burger wrong it smokes the apt and smoke goes everywhere. just saying this cause i know how fast you can get jumped on here. also to this thread's poster, if you find you are running SDRAM most likely you'll need to get 133mhz sdram. it used to be pentium 100 mhz, AMD 133 mhz, but since a friend of mine got a used hp 733mhz P3 with 128 MB SDRAM at 133mhz, anything is possible now. on adverage you either have sdram at 133mhz or ddr. you are running at 200+mhz bus, so yeah, if it's SDRAM, it's most likey at 133mhz.

sorry, but i can't help you with ddr. i don't know the mhz rating for those. i don't use it.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geez, people!!! Get it straight!!! <marquee>I DON'T NEED UPGRADING!!!:D:D LOL</marquee>

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    D'oh, OK I get it.

12. well thanks for the help you guys. I never got that compaitbility thing at crucial.com to work, oh well. I won't be making a RAM purchase anytime in the near future, but its good to know this. I guess for a last minute check I'm gonna call Compaq before I go out so i can be %100 sure of what I need to get.

again, thanks for the help.

13. be carefull with the RAM you buy..

not only pay attention to the guaranteed (sp?) speed it can do ( e.g. 66 , 100 , 133, 266 mhz )

but also pay attention to buffered and unbuffered DIMM's..

they look the same, but the 2 " grooves " on the bottom are in a slightly different position..

if you look at this picture.. the arrows point to the grooves.. With buffered DIMMS ( for servers ) the bottom groove is approx. 3mm more to the edge of the DIMM.. keep that in mind when you buy DIMM's that don't fit..

[​IMG]