Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upgrading speakers - 4x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I plan on upgrading my cab from 8 ohm to 4 ohm by putting new speakers. I play through a bass 350 and want to get the full 350 watts out of the amp. Any recommendations as to what speakers I should put in or how to do this? the cab is a peavey 410TX (rear ported, tweeter). Thanks in advance.

2. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    You have to be careful that the speakers you buy will work well in the cabinet you already have. Some speakers need more or less cabinet volume (depending on their thiel/small specs). If you put new speakers in that equal out to 4 ohms total and they need a larger cabinet volume than is provided, they will sound very thin and you may damage them if pushed too hard. This gets even more tricky when you factor in ports and vents in the design. Cabinets are carefully tuned to provided good frequency response for the speakers that come with it. Maybe you know all this and have done your homework. Please be careful if you decided to replace the speakers with different ones! I'd hate to see you waste your cash on new speakers when you could have just bought a new cab that would be what you are looking for for just a little more money.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    That, and you may be better off spending the money on an extension cab. Then you won't have to worry about mismatched speakers, and you'll get even more output than had you just a 4 ohm 4x10".

4. I agree with getting an extension cab. Would cost you about the same amount of money as replacing 4 10" drivers

5. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    the Peavey 410tx comes in 8 and 4 ohms and I believe its the same box. So unless you dont want to add another cab (best option IMHO) you could either get replacement speakers for the 4ohm version or just trade yours in to and get the 4ohm cab. whatevers works.