Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading speakers in 2-12 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Nov 3, 2002.

1. I need some help.I thought I bought a SWR Bigfoot(2 12 Bagend speakers and a Leson piezo)but what came was a Workingmans 2-12(2 Celestions and the tweeter).The bigfoot is 500w at 4ohm and the WM is 250w at 8ohm.I was thinking of changing the Celetions to Eminence Kappas,either the pros or the stamped version.How can I get the program to figure which speaker and port length?This cabinet is really in great shape and built very well.Inside dimensions are 21 by 21 by 15.75.Help!

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just a thought, don't you think it might be better to sell/trade and get the cabinet you want?

3. I could,but I could probably only get about $200 for this thing.An Aguilar 212 goes for about $675 and an Eden 212xlt for about $700.I can get the drivers,crossover and a foster tweeter for under $200.If I can tune the cabinet right for the Kappas I'll have a very nice sounding portable cabinet.The 2 ports on it now are 3 7/8 wide by 2 7/8 deep.I've kind of wanted to do a project like this for a while anyway.

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    get a couple of the epifani ultralites...I don't know who makes them but they're going to weigh about 17 pounds less and likely will be 300 watt speakers. Give them a call. I'd be more worried about the tweeter and getting that replaced.

5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    The best driver I have found to live in that small of a cab is the Selenium wpu 1207, you can find it at Parts Express for about $130.00 each.

I used 2.8 cubic feet which should be pretty close. 2.8 ft tuned to 50 hz will get you -3db at around 51hz. This is not very good but its better than all the other drivers I ran through that box size and that includes all the Eminence drivers. The space is just to small to get good bass out of. As always I could be wrong.