Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading Spector EMG's to 18v

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nat, Oct 16, 2004.

1. nat

nat

Mar 24, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I have a Spector Q5 bass with EMG HZ pickups. I know the pickups themselves are passive, but the bass still requires a 9v battery. Will I benefit from adding another battery?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The preamp is active. Yes the extra battery adds headroom.

3. Yup, when I had my spector that was the first thing I was going to do.

4. Sorry for asking but what exactly is headroom, I have a Q5 also and am thinking about doing this too?

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I was hoping to do this with my rebop 5.. But I couldn't only 9 volt I guess ><

6. Argento1980

Argento1980

Oct 5, 2012
    LOL this is from 2004? I came across it and saw that you had a question and, incidentally, I was just coming across the answer so here it is (just in case)...

On the EMG Powering / Tips and Tricks document it says "Headroom is defined as the ability of the pickups to deliver a clean, undistorted waveform."

I'm looking into upgrading my Spector (incidentally like yours) from 9V to 18V. Hoping this annoying, distorted 'buzz' that I get will go away! :) Fingers crossed! Will keep you all updated :crying: haha