Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading Spector Rebop.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RevengeIseek, May 8, 2005.

1. I have changed my mind on what bass to yet get again but I am actually getting this one.

I am goin to get a rebop and im going to up grade it with EMG DC 35's Im just stumped on what pre amp to get. I was think Aguilar OBP-1 but im not sure.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. timinator

timinator

May 8, 2005
    I've had preamps in different basses including a Spector NS-94 that I upgraded with a "real" EMG system. BE CAREFUL! A good electronic system will not make a weak bass sound great and I learned this after an investment of a few hundred bucks. Think of the p-ups and preamp as a microphone-they can't reproduce a solid fundamantal that simply is not there. The EMG preamps can easily go 9 or 18 volt and also have micro-switches to alter the center of the treble control; very cool! Bartolini's BT has huge range of boost/cut and you absolutely can't lose with Aguilar, but caution again...one of their preamps is boost only, but I think the newer 3-band has boost and cut.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    If you get a chance, experiment with different EMG Pickups with extended housing. I went double DC for awhile, found I didn't like one in the bridge spot, and changed over to a CS there..others like the CS in the neck spot, and the DC at the bridge! You can get a P or J pickup in the extended series as well.

As far as electronics, I like the BQ and BT tone circuits. I find Barts and MEC not to my liking, just can't dial in a tone I like with them, where it's really easy with the EMG, IME. Then again, I'm an EMG guy from way back, from when I played the skinny strings, so that's not surprising...