Upgrading/the next one.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingus, Mar 24, 2004.

What now?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2004.
  1. Ibanez SR406

3 vote(s)
  2. Dean Rhapsody 12

1 vote(s)
  3. Squier Bronco

1 vote(s)
  4. Mexi Jazz Fretless

9 vote(s)
  5. Other

6 vote(s)
  1. So I've been thinking about either upgrading my bass or adding to my arsenal. As you can see from my sig, I have a MIM Fender Deluxe Precision Special-maple fretboard and PJ pickups. It's meat and potatoes sound has served me well so far, but my role in a new band is moving me out in front soundwise, since it is a trio. Here are my options as far as budget and my personal preferences go...

Ibanez SR406: Never been much of a fan of "extended range" basses until lately. I found this in a music shop and had a lot of fun with it. I can cover a lot of bases with something like this. Plus I always love those pics of Anthony Jackson and that huge fretboard.

Dean Rhapsody 12 String: Despite loving Cheap Trick and King's X, I never thought these would be playable, but the Dean is great. Once again, it would really fill a trio.

Squier Bronco: Now this I would probably restring as a piccolo. Just for fun.

Mexi Jazz Fretless: Doesn't everybody need a fretless in their arsenal? :D

Other: Is there something I'm missing?
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Stingus, sounds like each of those choices would be its own growth experience. The six is a great choice, especially 'cause it'll provide that low B. That can be very useful IME. And even though a six is really a completely different instrument, it's probably the choice that'll be most like what you've got now, so you can hit the ground running, so to speak. It has a lot of potential in terms of contributing to your understanding of chording and music theory in general, should you choose to grow in that direction. The 12 and the piccolo bass would really be speciality instruments, they're only good for one thing at a time, and my guess is you'd get bored with them pretty quickly. My personal choice would be the fretless, that would be a great learning tool, very different from what you've got now, it would give you a whole new sound, and eventually when you get good at it, a whole new feel. Figure at least six months to get going with it though (unless you only play one note bass lines, in which case it might be less than that). How useful it would be depends on your choice of music, would you find it helpful in the context of your band and the types of sounds you prefer?
  3. thanks for the response, even tho you didn't vote! :p

In truth, I'm stuck between the fretless and the six. The sound of the fretless hasn't really grabbed me; I always find my self sliding around and doing the sliding harmonics/Percy Jones thing, plus somebody got the bright idea of string all the fretless basses with flats, and while the heavy flats sound good on my fretted P, does absolutely NOTHING for me on fretless....

Now that I'm playing better, I found that the six offers a lot of choices, and I'm not even thinking about the soloing possibilities (although the idea of hitting the fuzz pedal and playing above the 12th fret on the G and C has occured to me! :smug: ); I've got chords and super low basslines, and there is always the Les Claypool idea of the "poor man's Stick".

Thanks again, and great Sherlock quote!!
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Just curious as to your budget
  5. just for the sake of the survey $500
  6. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I'm personally eyeballing a Traben Chaos 5 string in deep blue. Just thought I would explain my "other" vote ;)
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pshh, $500? Easy. Guitar center is selling Spector Q4's and Q5's for under $400. !!
  8. The lower bugdet Ibanez basses blow in my experience. If a sixer is what you want, perhaps check out the BTB's? My advice is to wait till you can afford a decent instrument, and as far as I'm concerned, a 6 strings with a poor feel will deter you from ever playing a sixer again. If what you've got on the list is the only thing you're mind is open to, I'd vote for the Fretless Fender. Quality control is a bitch on those instruments, check around to make sure you get the best one:).

Musicyo.com has a small sale going on right now selling their Pro-6 for $599. I got mine as for $430 back when they were trying to clear their stock, and it's a great instrument, great feel and sound. I'd suggest a set of Fodera strings on it to take advantage of its full capability, the fodera strings make a 34" scale bass play like a 35"!!! Great strings and they last forever. The only thing I don't like about the bass is the pickups, but they are common size and can be replaced easily. Crafstmanship is superior for what I paid on mine.
  9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You may also want to look at the Peavey Fury V or VI and the Peavey Grind V or VI as well. They are affordable and play extremely well, especially the Fury.

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Another vote for Peavy. Also Yamaha is a great value also. They have better B strings than fender (5s) and ibanez IMHO. But some are golden eggs while others are "alright". I played a lined fretless mex jazz today, and I was floored by the sound and bang for the buck. It would be a very good choice also.