1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrading to an actual rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Aug 5, 2007.

1. I'm just in the planning/hoping/wishing stages right now, but I'm trying to get some ideas about an actual rig rather than the combo amp I'm running right now. I like ampeg, but would be willing to venture out a little bit if i could try them out. I play church gigs every week, otherwise I play everything from Tool and Breaking Benjamin to Pink Floyd and Led Zep.

In looking for heads, I think a SVT4 pro would be great for me. Plenty of power, I like the tone and features - its the amp I play through at Guitar Center usually when I'm trying something out.

I'm looking for small, flexable, and portable so I think I'll go with two small cabs that could be standalone and combinable. A 2x10 and 1x15 is what I had in mind, possibly 12's...

My criteria is simple:
    Tone: I need full range frequency response, especially a low B. I play 5ers and use my low B alot, so I'd like something with a nice full bottom end.

Power: I want to have somthing that is good for bedroom practice most of the time but that can be cranked up and fill a small venue or theater. I played a GK backline 600 rig and even when cranked it didnt get as loud as I wanted for the few gigs I've done (no PA support)

Weight: I want to carry one cab in one hand for a short period of time, so about 50lbs is what I'm aiming for. This is not the most important criteria I have, but it would be nice lol.

I'd like to keep costs low, I'd have no issues going used.
    I've read up on Avatar and Dr. Bass cabs, I might try Dr.Bass - they seem to have great customer service and there havent been any complaints that I've seen...

Just brainstorming and looking for any input you guys might have - thanks!