1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrading

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Ben Rolston, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi,
    In light of the fact that I now have a NS Cleveland, I am consider upgrading from the beginners bow which I currently have. I might have missed it but but I didn't see any type of bow buying guide in this part of the forum (if there is point me to it). I'm looking for bow buying tips which are more than "you just have to go check them out yourself." I will of course check out bows but I don't really know what to look for so help is appreciated (even suggestions for bows).

Info about myself:
    I play german on a Cleveland with Spiro Mittles
    I am a jazz player, and am mostly interested in the bow for reasons of getting my technique together. Although it would be fun to do some orchestra work in college if the section needed another player.
    I am really just looking for a bow which will be more fun to play on.
    Looking to spend maybe around $500 in the future.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    500 is still in the beginner bow price range. I'll tell you what
    I would do for a bow in that range, I would go buy one of
    Ken Smith's bows, the pictures on his site look pretty good
    and the BIG advantage is that Ken is always around to
    harass if you arent satisfied :) And no, I'm not being paid
    by Ken to say this (course if he wanted to send me a free
    bow for the shameless plug I wouldnt send it back either :))

Good luck in your quest,

3. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Call David Gage in New York City and have him ship you some bows. I have a Werner shop bow, that I got from Gage for 450, and its taking me through a College.

Gage has some good bows for the value, if you give him a call he will send out about 4 bows on trial.

4. I think you might be a good candidate for one of the better carbon bows.

5. kontrabass

kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    Bob Gollihur's bows are also hard to beat for the price.

6. Ben Rolston

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Like what?

7. Ben Rolston

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Extremely good idea, Thanks

8. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    I don't play to much with a bow, but would like to practise some more and get a good bow in the beginner price range under 500, too. My problem: With cheaper bows, there should be more weaknesses, but how can I identify them ?
    Having not much practise with a bow, I can feel a difference (or sometimes not) when playing two different bows. But in many cases, I don't know, what is better and what is worse.
    Is the bow, that works better with long notes, the one to take or should I choose the other one, that makes playing staccato a little easier ?
    How is one going to select a bow ?
    What tests and play patterns should be used ?
    How long or heavy should the bow be, how far from the frog should be the center point of weight ?
    How much should the bow bend when playing ?
    How to find the best tension of the hair ?

9. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    I got one of Ken Smith's Tecchler bows. It is quite a nice bow for the money.

10. See the thread titled "Thinking of getting a Carbon-Fiber Bow."

11. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    LOL, If someone puts a $100 bow or a $5000 bow in your
    hands how will you tell the difference? ... you won't, thats
    what people study with a teacher for 5 years or 10 years
    for.

Francois Rabbath sums it up beautiful "The bow, its NOT the
    stick, its your ARM" (Art of the Bow DVD)

And training that arm, just like training an athlete, isnt about
    WORDS, its about physical development and that needs a
    trainer, aka a teacher.

SO, first go find a top notch teacher, and let him or her tell you
    what bow to buy, and then help you find these answers.

Peace,

12. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    I don't have a teacher, and everybody else around here plays with german bow grip. I play cello, too, and prefere the french grip. 5000 is much out of scope, the question is regarding bows between 100 and 500.
    The question is: what tests to use to decide, which bow to choose from the ones available. Even a teacher has to use some tests on which to base his recommendation and criteria, what is better besides personnel, unspecified preference.

13. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    I know someone selling an excellent Marco Raposo german bow for 500 CAD. I can give you his phone number in Toronto if you wish?

14. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    I'm relatively new to DB, I have a teacher and have been woodshedding with the bow for awhile. My criteria would be to compare it with what I have been using, (an Upton $100. bow.) and with other bows that I would consider upgrading to. I would look for appearance, weight, balance, how it fits my hand, and most important, how it sounds across the strings. I hope to upgrade in the near future as well. Funny, this GAS keeps coming back.

15. Ben Rolston

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Do you have any more information on this? Particularly who Raposo is? I don't know.