1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

upgrading

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mistydawn, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Dec 9, 2008
    I am looking to purchase a blonde 52 kay swingmaster the lutier has reattached the neck and doing some other cosmetic work.He is asking $2000.00 for it with new strings,bridge and bag.I havent had a chance to play it yet when he gets it strung i will play it. does this look like a good price.He said he would take a look at my bass that is just a cheap internet bass with no name and see what he would give me for that and take it off the price.thanks for any advice

2. That price sounds reasonable. From what I've seen, it's in the neighborhood, possibly even slightly low if the setup is perfect, and the bass sounds and otherwise looks good.

Does your luthier specialize in double basses? If not, I'd approach this situation with extreme caution and have an experienced double bass player check the instrument out.

I'm surprised that he's interested in a cheap internet bass. (I wouldn't expect he'll want to give you a lot for it if he knows what he's doing.)

3. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Can you give us the exact details as to how your luthier "reattached the neck"? Method, type of glue, neck angle, shims....et cetera. Done properly, this is a solid repair; done by a 16 year old at an electric guitar shop with a bottle of tightbond and drywall screws....not so good....

Where are you located? The price of old Kays is very region specific.

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com
    former 16 year old electric guitar shop "luthier"

4. Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Dec 9, 2008
    I am in N Y State by buffalo.The luthier owns his own music shop and has been in the buisness since the 70,s he is very experianced.I had a couple of profenssional musicians recomend him when i started looking for an upgrade.he had no less then a dozen uprights and many cellos and violins in his shop for repairs.i guess that explains why have waited at least 6 months for him to get to this one

5. Are you talking about Scott? If so, I'd tell you to pass based on my experience with his work.

If you're willing to drive to Rochester, there's a Shen hybrid listed on Craigslist for $1500 or best offer.

6. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Dear Misty please pay attention to the advices given. People in this forum try to help you by all means, so try to benefit from their experience!

7. Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Dec 9, 2008
    its not scott. it is mark monoco from monocos violin shop.he would use my old bass as a rental for either students or a school.He also has a shen that he wanted $1500.00 for but it also needed work

8. OK, that's good. I've spoken with Mark, and he seemed like a decent guy, but I know nothing about the quality of his work.