1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

upper register of a B string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brianh, Aug 1, 2007.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Hi guys,

I've recently been practicing a lot more than usual, kind of going through one of those phases, and one of my main focus' is using the entire register of the bass on every string. What I've found is that above roughly the 10th fret on the B string the fundamental is extremely less audible and there is what I think is unnatural harmonic present on all of the notes. This is not a string buzz and my action is normal is not higher than normal. If it makes any difference I'm using .125 gauge, non-tapered round wounds. This is happening on both of my 5 strings; an F Bass (34.5") with his pickups and an Elrick (35") with Bartolini pickups.

I guess my question would be, is this a normal problem on 5 strings? Both of my basses have what I consider great B strings and to me are setup well. I take my basses to a guy named Ron Volbrecht, who in my limited experience is a world class repairman...but then again I'm not a tech. He doesn't think the problem can be fixed.

Could this be related to bridge/neck setup, pickup height, string gauge, etc? I've never noticed the problem before a month ago, but I'm ashamed to say I've never checked and never paid much attention to that area of the bass.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    In the upper reaches of the low strings, most basses go 'Hoooooooommmmm', with little clarity or definition.

The only bass I have ever played that doesn't is my current MTD 635 fretless. Somehow, Mr. Tobias has managed to achieve clarity right up to the 17th fret on the 'B' string; it is a note like all the others. It's amazing, and a testament to his genius as a builder, and as a tweaker of preamps/pickups.

Play softly as you go up the neck, and make sure you are pressing harder, especially on a fretless (you have to press the strings really hard on a fretless to get a good sound in the high registers).

And save your pennies for an MTD.

:D

Cheers,
    Cameron

3. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    that makes sense...i don't really use that register often, but sometimes it's nice to stay in closed position for some fast runs or some chords. maybe thats the real difference between $3000 Elrick and an $8000 Fodera?

4. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    and it was woofy up high. But not my MTD.

Cameron

5. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I have several high end 5 string basses and none of them sound great past the 8th or 9th fret on the B string. Some are 34" scale and some are 35" scale it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference. My Roscoes, Century V and LG 3005, 35" and Sadowsky Metro 34" sound the best. The others are Ken Smith and Zon.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Thats part of the reason I quit playing my 5. B strings don't sound good to me past the 4th fret. The big reason was because I hardly ever used the low notes.