Upright Bass Adjustment

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ashmead_d, May 23, 2004.

1. I need to lower the action on an upright bass. Where would you recommend me to start,,,replace the bridge, take the top of it down, take off the bottom. Which way would be the best to start?
  2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    If you are talking about an actual acoustic double bass, I would recommend taking it to a violin shop to have it done. It's trickier than it looks. If you are talking about an EUB, I dunno, it depends on the make and model. Pics?
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Taking off the bridge in summer is dangerous. The Bass has started to swell and the sound post is looser. As you take the tension off the top, the sound post may fall. Unless your'e an expert violin(Bass)luthier, you will be in trouble.

The Back swells in summer and the neck moves foward towards the top a bit making the action a little higher. This is normal. Take it to a good shop and have adjusters put on the Bridge.

Trust me, If you have to "ask" out here what to do, Don't try it yourself.
  4. It looks like this might be in the wrong forum. I think we'll show this wayward poster some kindness and send him back to DB unmolested - Unlike the DB guys that would probably eviscerate a BG player with a "how do I lower my action" sort of question.

:bag: :D
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    What if you live somewhere that rains all winter.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

This is the best advice you'll get as far as a DB bridge goes. The adjusters not only give you some flexibility to deal with seasonal issues, but also some wiggle room if you try a different string or want to use the bass for a variety of styles and playing conditions.

If you take the bridge down now to where you think you want it, it can easily buzz beyond playable this winter.

FWIW, unless you have already invested in a high quality bridge, don't just pay to have a luthier fit your existing bridge with wheels. Most of the cost of the fitting is in the labor. It isn't that much more to have the luthier start with a nicely aged blank. In fact, when I did it, my guy offered me a better price on fitting the wheels if I'd buy a new blank because it is apparently easier to install them that way.

A better bridge can positively impact the tone of the bass, and you'll also have a spare if the needs arises.
  7. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004