Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upright bass brigde and endpin purchases?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by johnnyd39, Aug 12, 2000.

1. johnnyd39

johnnyd39

Aug 12, 2000
    I am leaving for a music college and just purchased a bass that needs a new bridge and endpin. I want to know if anyone could tell me where I could find the type of tubular endpin and also the ebony adjusters for the bridge that are dark black with grooves in them. I'd to have them shipped within the next week too. I have ordered from Lemur before but they don't have the adjusters I want. Thanks for all the help you can give!

2. johnnyd39

johnnyd39

Aug 12, 2000
    THanks for the reply Ed. My luthier is Christian Eggert.
    He can't find the adjusters I want because I think that they
    don't make them any more. Lemur used to have the kind I wanted. I found that out from another bass player here in town.
    i didn't realize there was a double bass side. I thought this was general bass. THanks again!

3. Yes kolstein makes some beautiful Exotic wood adjusters, but they ain't cheap. Nice bridges also. I think you can order a bridge with adjustors already on it. Check out the Kolstein site.
    http://www.kolstein.com

4. Johnny - If it's not too late, I recommend against the tubular type of endpin. There's a greater risk of it slipping than with a steel shaft type which will have grooves to accept a set screw. These are much safer. One brand is Gotz, available from Lemur. One advantage of the Gotz type is that you can get a wheel with the same shaft size.
    Surveys and tests conclude that the best adjusters are maple or ebony; the worst were brass. Lemur, Kolstein, and International Violin Co. Inc. 800-542-3538 should have all of these. Good luck.
    P.S. You should not order a bridge by mail unless you are absolutely sure what the bridge foot span should be. This is determined by the location of the bass bar. There are 5 different bridge foot spans within a width variation of only 50 mm. Your luthier should know what to get. Any questions, e-mail me.

[Edited by Don Higdon on 08-29-2000 at 01:10 PM]

5. P.S. You should not order a bridge by mail unless you are absolutely sure what the bridge foot span should be. This is determined by the location of the bass bar. There are 5 different bridge foot spans within a width variation of only 50 mm. Your luthier should know what to get.
    [/B][/QUOTE]
    But couldn't you just measure the span of the present bridge yourself, and send the measurements, or maybe even draw an outline of the bridge? On second thought, if you have never done any bridge work before, let your luthier do it, it is a giant pain to fit the feet.
    I agree about the shaft, though. I used to have one, and it slipped a lot, usually right in the middle of a solo! I use
    an Eggpin endpin now.

6. ree: Exactly. It's a luthier's job. Also, we can't be totally sure the existing bridge is correct. The bridge is so important to the sound a luthier is a good investment.