1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright bass in a Box

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Hqubed, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
  2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    he should pay you to haul it away.

3. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Enjoyed that, thanks for posting!

I'd like to know if intense musical frustration preceded the, er, disunification of the pieces.

4. Hi.

Thanks for posting.

A DIYholic like me would just love to get something like that onto my bench, but there would have to be really special bits and pieces to warrant that kind of a price.
    Something like pristine guts, highly detailed cast tuners and an ebony FB one simply can't buy anymore for example...

None of which seems to come with that assembly kit :(.

Regards
    Sam

5. I spoke to the owner yesterday. Looks like a "blockless wonder." It's complete, just shattered, and an extra neck is included.

The owner, a repairman, has $400 in it (purchased 15 years ago) and local interest at $500. I'm interested at about $250 plus shipping. We'll see if he calls back.

6. I just contacted the owner with the same questions. I was gonna offer about the same amount. I also have two questions in to my local luthier:

1. What's a ballpark figure to reassemble and set up?
    2. Am I nuts?

We'll see what he says.

7. 1. Thousands.
    2. Ask a shrink. I sure am.

Rebop likes this.
  8. Report back from Luthier:

1. Yes, you are nuts.
    2. What if the original bass sounded like crap? Maybe that's why no one has bothered.

(grin)

Of course, he's right.

9. The guy said he got it as it sits and has been dragging it around with him for a decade and a half.

He's selling it because he figures he'll never get around to fixing it.

Word on the street is that blockless wonders can be very good sounding basses, but have major design flaws that need to be corrected, which is no picnic even if the bass is in one piece.

10. What is a "blockless wonder"?

11. Cheap bass built ~1850-1920 with no neck block, but rather a "neck root" like a Spanish guitar and the ribs set into the sides of the heel. You can see the slots if you look carefully at the butt of the neck.

NHOP played one his whole career.

12. Wild. All these years, I haven't heard of these. How did I miss it? Can't believe the necks stay in the things. I suppose sometime they don't.