Upright Bass - Jazz Video

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Tallbagpiper, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Can anyone tell me if they know of a good instructional video to use IN ADDITION TO my instructor. Everything seems to be bluegras oriented.

I can't get to my instructor as often as I would like, and for some strange reason, I seem to be picking this up pretty quickley.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'm going to move this to Miscellaneous where it probably belongs. I don't own any jazz bass videos, but Lemur has a bunch in their catalog: Gary Peacock, Michael Moore & Rufus, etc. You might check at their website. Either it's www.lemurmusic.com , or someone will come along and correct me momentarily. Good luck.
  3. There were three jazz video instructional tapes put out by Ray Brown that seem to be out-of-print. Does anyone know how to obtain them? Thanks.
  4. Try the ISB at 972/233-9107 ext 204. I just ordered a set.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought the Gary Peacock one and it looked very promising from the cover - but I was very disappointed and found there was too much vague,waffly talking and not enough playing or demonstrations. I wouldn't have minded, but the chat, just didn't seem to be saying anything... weird and disappointing!
  6. So far my favorite jazz bass video's or DVD's are Herbie Hancock's "Hurricane" with 7 cameras (with fantastic hand shots of Ron Carter at his swinging best), Kenny Drew Sr. at Brewhouse (great DVD video and sound with great close-up shots of Niels Orsted Henning Pederson's bass playing), Benny Carter Jazz at the Smithsonian (with George Duvivier's interesting bass playing), "Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, and Lee Konitz at Woddstock Jazz Festival (DVD with fantastically creative jazz bass arco soloing by Miroslav Vitous), and the Duo at Bass Collective Video of Rufus Reid and Michael Moore.

Does anyone know where I can obtain an out-of-print video of Monty Alexander, Ray Brown, and I think Greg Hutchinson entitled, "Triple Treat"? I understand the jazz bass playing of Ray Brown is phenomenal on that video.

What are other jazz video's or DVD's with good bass playing close-up shots (and great bass playing) that others here recommend?
  7. "Stephane Grappelli in New Orleans" - features some incredible playing by Patrice Caratini - check out "Armando's Rhumba", and "Sweet Georgia Brown", as well as some splendid guitar playing by Martin Taylor and Marc Fosset, and of course Monsieur Grappelli swings as only he can.

- Wil
  8. Yes David, you seem to have the same taste in bass players as myself.
    There are a couple you didn't mention. I think as YOU do that, one can learn a lot from seeing LIVE bass players doing their thing! rather than straight up and down Video/DVD Bass Instructional type products.

I'm glad I didn't fork out the $49.00 Aussie dollars for Gary Peacock after what Bruce has just said.(I nearly bought it only about a week back)
    Thanks for THAT info Bruce!

Anyway David ,back to your question.I have the following on VIDEO / Oscar Peterson London 1964 with Ray Brown Ed Thigpen....Bill Evans in Europe with Eddie Gomez / Chuck Israels. Jobim at Montreux...EB bassist? Michel Petrucciani Trio Anthony Jackson / Steve Gadd/ Dave Holland Trio in Germany.Ella Fitzgerald at Carnegie Hall / Buster Williams Bass The 2 Patitucci Videos unfortunately only on EB. / Ray Brown with Dizzy Gillespie at Montreux. and some EARLY 60's videos of "Oscar Brown Jnr" with the likes of Ben Webster / Paul Chambers/ Ahmed Jamel with Israel Crosby MOST OF THE ABOVE I HAVE TAPED FROM CABLE ON the OVATION CHANNEL! One to look for coming up to EASTER is the repeat of "Oscar Peterson Easter Suite ".... with NHOP(Brilliant!) and Jeff Hamilton.And as "WIL" said look out for Stephane Grappelli with Patrice Caratini on Bass .....ONE HOT PLAYER!Also my piano player in my trio has a GREAT video of Michel Camilo with a YOUNG DB name not known....once again video taken off cable!

Now DVD's, Clark Terry at St.Lucia/ with Curtis Lundy on Bass , Diana Krall in Paris / John Clayton.Jazz Scene USA 1962. Phineas Newborn Trio/Al McKibbon Bass/Shelly Manne and his men 1962 / Monty Budwig Bass/ Shorty Rodgers and his Giants/ A VERY YOUNG Gary Peacock Bass/Charles Mingus "Triumph of the underdog"/ Dexter Gordon "More Tahn You Know"with NHOP (A VERY YOUNG NHOP on Bass)"Jazz Collection"Volume 1. Red Rodney / with Rufus Reid/Kenny Drew with NHOP(same as yours except only 2 songs on this DVD/Dexter Gordon /David Eubanks./ Stan Getz / Mark Johnson Bass.

I'm always on the lookout for new arrivals but few and far between. Most of the above DVD's are available at the present time!:p
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I only paid £14.99 I think - but these things are subjective - somebody else might have liked it - if you're beyond the actual technique and are looking for ideas... but then maybe it would be better in a book?
  10. Bruce , Do I take it that you drive up to London every Friday Night for your weekly Jazz FIX! Or did I miss a Jazz Club in Brighton while I was visiting the U.K. back in 1996???and Last year!
  11. Bruce Lindfield

No - I take a gentle walk along the road and even gentler on the way back after a few pints!

You did miss the best thing about Brighton - Brighton Jazz Club!!

So this Friday, I will be wandering along to see the Julian Arguelles Quartet ! :)

Julian is a great Sax player/composer - has worked with Carla Bley, Steve Swallow, Kenny Wheeler - but mostly leads his own bands with his own original material.

Bruce I am impressed, (just checked out the web-site)and to think I wasted my time walking around the Indian Palace and checking out the current condition of the Brighton Pier!