1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright Bass String problem

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bujums, Feb 10, 2020.

1. bujums

bujums Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Southern Idaho
    My upright bass strings seems to have the threads unraveling off of the string... I have had pickups installed and I am sure they have rubbed and cut the threads. Can I just re-rap those ends. Is there any problem with doing that?

The strings are older but I still love them.

2. I've just asked the moderator to move this to the "Double Bass" side of the forum.

bujums likes this.
  3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    you're talking about the silk at the ball end right? maybe take some glue to the spots you want to fix up. IMO though theres really no need. i've seen spiors with trashed silks still holding up fine and i'm sure other strings will be the same.

unbrokenchain and bujums like this.
  4. bujums

bujums Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Southern Idaho
    I think my pickups rattle/vibrate on the strings, so I would like to have the thread under the pickup Jack mount.

5. You mean magnetic pickups? Other pickups should not be able to get in contact with the string if installed correctly.
    If the winding broke on the vibrating part of the string there is nothing you can do yourself. If these are expensive gut strings and the gut core is still good, some manufacturers have a rewind service.
    Before using a new set, better put the magnetic pickup/magnets lower or/and make the string action higher.

6. bujums

bujums Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Southern Idaho
    I think magnetic pickups are on Electric basses not Upright... My pickups are mounted on the bridge but they have clips that lock onto the Strings just above the tail piece... that is where the string is getting messed up

7. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    They are available for double bass. Here's an example (NFI).

(Requires metal strings.)

Quinn Roberts likes this.
  8. bujums

bujums Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Southern Idaho
    Interesting!. I did not no there was such a thing.

Quinn Roberts and dhergert like this.
  9. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    Ah. Are you talking about a fishman pick up where there's a jack thingy that mounts on the afterlengths? They can rattle sometimes. Maybe try some sort of rubbery stuff where the clips clip on the strings, or rig up something to attach it to the tailpiece. Gollihur includes a neat bracket that attaches to the ball end of the G string when you buy Gage pickups from him. I've got one and it works great. He might sell you one cheap and it might work. He has good customer service skills and is a good resource for you to get to know if you're new to upright.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If you are talking about unraveling of the silks where the pickup jack mounts I have used both electric tape and duct tape to wrap the string where the jack mount goes. Both work fine, and also help keep the mount from vibrating.

11. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    photos please....

12. A musician who doesn’t immediately reach for duct tape to solve a non-fatal problem? That’s new.

13. Might be electrostatic, but I doubt it.
    A picture might help.
    If the unraveling is between bridge and tailpiece, that can be stopped by some tube around it (if steel core strings electrical shrink tube works well).

bujums likes this.
  14. bujums

bujums Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Southern Idaho
    good idea

15. bujums

bujums Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Southern Idaho
    I will post a photo this week

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021