Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upright bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassMan2000, Oct 29, 2003.

1. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Hi guys, I've been playing upright bass for about 4 years (electric 7). Unfortunately I've been playing cheap plywood basses, the whole time. I do play my teachers 12,000 custom upright everyonce in awhile at a lesson. I'm going to be attending univeristy and studying upright bass in orchestra and jazz bands.

There is this bass that is for sale, its a fully carved spruce and highly flamed bass. Adjustable bridge,3/4 ebony finger board. My teacher played it and so did a few professional bassists in the area and they enjoyed it alot. My teacher thinks its a great buy and so on, he checked it out the set-up is great, the strings is great it feels like a 100 year old german bass (amazing to play no wolf notes, just clean tone and so easy to play). The bass is brand new, about 4 months old, and just really stunning. I'm not sure on the make of the bass, I was just checking to see if I skipped a step because the shop is good, the owner their is great, does setups for the orchestra players in th city and is all around a good buy.

The cost of the bass is 4600(Canadian) even with Bass/Bag and a Bow.

2. Well, it certainly sounds great. You said your teacher and some pro players checked it out. You didn't say what kind of players they are. (jazz, classical....)
    If they are the former and you are convinced they are the descriminating type, then I'd go for it.
    Otherwise, I'd find a symphony player, a little on the snobbish side if possible. I'd probbly feel better hearing from someone I felt was being overly critical. When I had my teacher check out my shen 7/8ths, his comments were that good basses under 5K US are unusual and mine was a good bass (he didn't say great, but good) At the price I paid, I felt good about his assesment.
    By the way, who is the builder/shop that made this bass?

3. Well, it sounds as if you have all the bases :meh: covered! You're certainly going about it the right way, and if your teacher is happy, and you like the sound, and you're happy, then that's all that really matters. Also, consider that eventually you will want to upgrade, and if you take care of your new bass, then it will fetch more when you come to sell it or trade it in.

Good luck, and when you get your new bass, post some pictures so that we can all turn green...

- Wil

4. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Well my teacher is a symphony player/jazz player. He comments alot about bad sounding basses, he hated my rented ones and didn't like alot of 100 year old carved basses. So in a nutshell he infact is really picky and critical. He has actually given me crap for letting him look at cheap basses in the past, haha. Which is kinda uncharacter of him to like this one so much, he commented that its the kinda bass that'll last a long time and will continue to work until I upgrade.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The fact is that you now see chinese carved basses with very nice wood at relatively low prices.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't see what your problem is then?:confused:

As none of us have seen or played the bass - how can we give any opinion - whereas your teacher has, and is telling you to buy it!

So - what do you want us to say? :confused:

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Although it's cheaper than what he'd expected it's still a lot of dow, and he just wants to make sure it will be well spent. I agree we can't help him much with that respect...

8. Bruce Lindfield

Unless he's asking us for a donation!! :eek:

;)

I suuppose my point is - what can we add - not having seen, heard or played the thing - that his teacher hasn't already said?:confused:

9. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    For chemists it's dow :D

10. Have you considered that he's just sick of evaluating crap basses? Just kidding.
    Sounds like your all set.

Enjoy...

11. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I was just wondering if anyone else knew of any better deals over ebay or bassgear.com that could be another possible route. I'll post pictures sometime soon.

For 4600, that is a large amount of money. I just wanted to make sure, I'll find out more from the store and post it on here for you guys once I get the chance.

12. Michael Nickerson

Michael Nickerson

Apr 24, 2003
    Maine
    Sounds like you've taken care of the important stuff. You like the looks of it, the feel of it, and especially the sound of it. And the price isn't scaring you off. When it comes right down to it, all that matters is that you desire for it is equal to your affinity to the money you'll have to part with.

If anything else is to be done, it might be to get another luthier's opinion as to its construction.

Good luck, and I too would like to see some pix.

13. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I have worked for a String Restoration shop for oever a year and we see more junk from ebay. I would NEVER buy a double bass from ebay. Personally I have bought bass guitars, but double basses are different animals. We also sell double basses and our Chinese basses are our most popular by far. It is the most bang for a buck right now. Our Shen basses our OUTSTANDING!

When buying a bass I feel that the set up is one of the most important things. The set up can take a lower level bass and help it sound, feel, and play much better.

The bass you are looking at sounds like a nice deal. If it is solid without and splits and a VERY sound set up. A nice bridge, nut, endpin, and all of that stuff.

If you get it post some pictures!

14. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    it is very early in the morning so I spelled some stuff wrong there.....sorry guys!

15. Bruce Lindfield

This sounds like good advice - especially if you are unsure about what you want!

Nothing would convince me to buy an instrument from ebay! ;)

16. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    That's about $100 US, right? ;)

All kidding aside BassFisherman, it sounds like you've done everything you're supposed to do:
    Good shop (which one, btw?)
    Teacher's approval
    Hot players' approval
    Very good price

With the millions you will make as a musician, 5 G's is nothing.:D
    As for eBay, don't walk away, run!

Good luck, have fun!

p.s.: MXR255, are you working for Jeff, Mike, Quince, or Bob? Have we met, or talked on the phone before? Just wondering, & thanks for the kind words about Sam's basses.

17. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA