Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upright Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Traveler, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Okay, Ive been considering of late to add an upright bass to my collection, as I heard one on an mp3 the other day and was very interested in the sounds of it. If you own an upright bass, or prefer one certain kind, please tell me what it is and what price range I can be expecting to pay for it new. And one more thing. I have heard little new jazz, but Ive been thinking about buying a cd or two and seeing how I like it. Any jazz preferences for you out there? Please only list one cd per person, I dont want 10 jillion options.

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You may want to ask this question over in the Double Bass area. If you're just starting out on upright it's best to go shopping with someone who has some experience on the instrument. There are many options, plywood, plywood/carved, fully carved, used, new. The prices run the gamut as well.

For CD's, I recommend "Kinda Blue" by Miles Davis.

3. ...and I wave my hand and say the magic words...

*poof!*

4. Anyway for a cheap one it would cost about $1200, for a good one well over $5000.... Also remember that double basses are tuned differently than an electric

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    double basses are tuned differently than an electric [/B][/QUOTE]

Huh?

6. Huh? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah I also am still trying to figure out why that comes up so much.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Gruff and pkr2, for your information, a double bass from highest to lowest string is tuned G-D-A-E, and an electric bass tuned from lowest to highest is E-A-D-G.

See the difference?!

:D

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    No.

Pkr2

9. Read it again Pkr2 :D

Again Jazzbo comes along and flushes all my years of training, sweat, and tears down the toilet.

damn you.

:D

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Once again Gruff, I'm just here to bring my amazing experience and wealth of knowledge to Talkbass. I do what I can.

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Actually, I think the guy meant to say that you have to tune a double bass way up on top. You tune an electric bass out to the side. Everybody knows that!

12. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Why do I have this gut feeling that I'm gonna come out of this looking like a monkey?

The highest pitched string on a BG is G and the lowest is E. The highest pitched string on a DB is also G and the lowest is E.

In what way are they different?

My mind is not the sharpest thing in the world right now. I'm on my first cup of coffee and have been up nearly all night pondering this problem.

Please tell me that this is not an elaborate scheme designed to burn up the last brain cell that I have left. :)

Pkr2

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  14. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Great minds think together, Chris. :)

Pkr2

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  16. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I feel like the only person in the room that doesn't understand the punchline.

This is cruel and unusual. Somebody PLEASE explain.

I'll bet you're all sitting around with your hand over your mouth giggling like school girls.

Just remember, paybacks are a bitch. :)

Travler: Sorry to drive your post any further off topic, but I'm beginning to believe I may have been tuning wrong for the last hundred years.

Pkr2

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think you've unwittingly become the punchline, pkr2 - a case of leg pulling that's running away from us. i'm sorry. :D

18. I am not giggling Pkr2

here we go,
    on the BG from thickest string to thinest it goes
    E A D G

on the DB from thinest string to thickest string is goes

G D A E

again this part of the thread has been in reference to bertbassplayer not Pkr2

19. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    On a DB the strings may be tuned in random order, while on a BG it doesn't matter.

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, yeah, forgot about that too. :D