1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

upright bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bijoux, Jan 13, 2012.

1. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    That's a nice bass sound. I HATE it! :rollno:

2. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    yeap. it sounds great. in fact it sounds "too" good. but then again when I keyboard player plays a bass line, they end up playing that wouldn't be friendly on a real bass.
    from a perspective of creating music and creating sounds, etc. I think it's just a new thing, and although not my favorite,... i guess it's valid. that's me trying to be open minded.
    But the bigger part of me, says it's just lame.
    so many great bass players, so many great instruments, etc. etc.
    I've seen a few people using that program, and it's just lame.
    i wanna hear real bass. even if it's pitchy!

3. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Hmm... This reminds of the feeling I had when I first heard Prince's "When Doves Cry."

I knew we were in for trouble..

and we're STILL in trouble... This must be to avoid intonation issues or save money.

4. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Noooooo.... That sounds too good

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Funny how it takes one pro to dedicate themselves to play the bass part on a piano. Might as well just get a real bassist. :rolleyes:

Ain't nuthin like the real thing baby!!

BTW: It takes time to even pull it off convincingly. Look at how much care he has to put into the notes. I would be more frightened if someone were doing that with just their left hand - but that's almost inhumanely possible.

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I give George props for swinging pretty hard but I think that sound is still pretty unnatural. Something about the attack is off. It's too uniform or something. I'm not worried about my job.

7. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    yeap. I agree, there is something funny about the sound. Although is still sounds incredible for being a software (sample).

...but... what if it did sound perfect like an upright bass?
    what would you think?

I personally still wouldn't like it.
    in fact I have heard other recordings and I think that depending on how it's mixed, and/or if there other instruments, it's really hard to tell if it's real or not.
    but I guess it made for one miss the imperfections of a real musician playing a real instrument. But then again they can always add the "human factor' and make the program play a little out of tune evry now and again! :rollno: but I think that just as a matter of principle is not cool to replace such a beautiful instrument that has 300 years of history. that is just a shame.
    In my opinion the same goes to string patches, horn section patches, etc.
    we should be hearing real musicians playing real instruments.

8. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    My reaction was what a great sound. I doubt I would have spotted it wasn't real on audio alone. Perhaps if someone asked me to compare, but not if I heard it randomly.

Wow.

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    A great sound indeed. It should be. After all, what you're hearing are essentially sampled sounds from real DBs! Most here remember the "synthesized sound" era. As DSP processors became more accessible in terms of cost, there was the switch to a library of sampled waveforms. I've been most impressed with the parts and the sounds of the parts created by Band In A Box. They're sampled sounds and styles from pro players.

I think hdiddy nailed it. You've got a digital version of a DB that requires a dedicated pro to play it! Just play the real thing. The one, that is, that still can make music when the power goes out. :)

10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Yes.

For me, the attack is good, but too uniform. The sound doesn't bloom in a natural way. I like the lines he played but don't see much value in it.

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I agree. I just listened on a better system. If you listen closely, with the ears of a DB player, then the anomalies are there. If I just happened to hear the tune, I'm not sure I'd conclude that it wasn't a real DB being played. Frankly, I don't think that's what matters. There are EUBs that sound pretty good.

As players, there are many aspects and characteristics of our instruments upon which we insist and over which we labor and about which the typical listener doesn't give one wit. From the player's perspective they're very important because they affect the artistry and the "voice."

Then there are the other musicians in the group. Not all appreciate the subtleties but many do!

Finally, there's the listener's experience. Forget recorded performances... in a live performance, I still think that the gestalt is quite different (and more desirable) for an audience member when he/she sees the DB being played as the sounds are heard. I think we're secure.

A side note on attacks. Back in the synthesizer days, people focused on creating the spectrum of the sound in order to mimic and instrument. After all, the conventional wisdom was that what makes a trumpet sound like a trumpet was the profile of its overtone series. Well, it didn't work too well. As it turns out, the shape of the temporal onset (the attack) is a HUGE factor. If you take the long-term spectral profile of a trumpet and pair it with the wrong attack, it doesn't sound like a trumpet at all! IIRC, you can actually make it sound quite like another instrument if you choose.

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    As good as it sounds, I get the feeling that if one of these DB sampling keyboards would have been available for Oscar Peterson to play with his left hand, he still would have preferred to play with Ray Brown or Niels-Henning ├śrsted Pedersen.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Sounds good. I could have been fooled.

In my view, the big difference is that the sampled tones are an ending point, whereas my bass is a starting point.

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    As long as paying clients keep listening with their eyes.... I ain't worried.

15. Winning quote.

Thought this kind of thing is problematic for all sorts of studio work, soundtracks to commercials, TV, movies, miscellaneous videos, as well as songs and anyplace where it's only audio.

Here's the companion clip..
    George Duke + Greg Phillinganes - The Gospel According To Emmett on Vimeo

Sounds versatile....

16. Funny that it still took 3 musicians to play as a trio. George Duke is playing the bass sample and he seems like he's completely absorbed in creating bass lines. If you're paying 3 musicians, why not just hire a great double bassist and get the real thing? Nice sound but I'm not that impressed. It might be good for piano bar megalomaniacs.

17. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    On the other hand, if they could marry something like this with an EUB-type physical controller--avoiding unnatural note sequences, because they'd fall from a fingerboard, not a keyboard--we might have a heck of a portable instrument.

18. Blackjack dealers have the same infatuous smile when they take your money after they hit you with a 5 on a ace. You think for a second that you've beaten them until the 10s come out in succession. Seriously. The clicking on the attack is a bit much. These type samples were around 20 years ago. That's pretty average stuff.