Upright bassists who inspired you as an electric player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Richard Lindsey, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Title speaks for itself, really. I don't play upright at all--I'm an electric bass guitarist--but bass is bass in my book, and I've been impressed, touched, moved, and knocked out by a number of great upright players. Especially as a jazz player, you can't avoid them anyway, so you might as well learn to like them! :) So who are the upright players who ring your bell?

Some of mine are

Ray Brown (whose walking is a thing of beauty)
    Paul Chambers
    Scott La Faro
    Gary Peacock
    Eddie Gomez
    Ron McClure (VERY underrated guy; I studied with him for a year, and he is BAD)
    John Patitucci (playing better than ever these days)
    Cecil McBee
    Red Mitchell (what an unsung monster)
    Charlie Haden
    Jimmy Garrison
    Dave Holland
    Buster Williams
  2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Good thread. The ones I listen to and have influenced me:

John Pattitucci
    Rob Wasserman
    Christian McBride
    Charles Mingus
    Robert Hurst
    Alain Caron (when he plays upright)
  3. I can't really add any to the list, because you already mentioned Ray Brown. Other than that, just the guys I hear on the local jazz show on CBC, I never know their names though.
  4. rayengle

Mar 10, 2001
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Good lists!

I'd add:
    Richard Davis
    Major Holland (whistling + arco solos = cool!)
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Stanley Clarke
    James Jamerson
    Oscar Pettiford
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would definitely say that Stanley Clarke's DB playing on "Light as Feather" has influenced my Jazz playing on BG - amazing solos and very interesting in terms of line construction in Latin/Jazz.

I think that in Latin playing, the DB is again the big influence, even though a lot of contemporary players use BG. But although I have been influenced, I don't always know the names, apart from people like Cachao and his nephew Cachaito.

For Jazz, I go along with all the recommendations so far, but would like to add Miroslav Vitous for early Weather Report stuff - which was a big influence on me. I have been influenced by too many DB players in the UK to mention and you probably wouldn't have heard of them - Dudley Phillips maybe the biggest influence.

One more name that should be in here : Niels-Henning ├śrstead Pederson.
  7. Paul Chambers
    Stanley Clarke
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You mean Major Holley, right?
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    How about Andy Gonzalez? I know you've heard him (whether you know it or not!). Major Ampeg baby bass guy.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man, I'm waaayyy late gettin' to this thread!
    Anyway, most of you have already named most of mine...
    Ray Brown, definitely! Back in the '70s, Ray was the 'house bassist' for The Merv Griffin Show;
    I used to rush home from school to see Ray...BTW, he also played a sunburst Fender P-bass on that show.
    I also started listening to Jazz about that time...so, MINGUS, for sure, & Richard Davis AND Ron Carter(all 3 were the bassists on my very first 3 Jazz records...Mingus At Carnegie Hall, Pat Martino's Footprints(Davis) & George Benson's Bad Benson(Carter).

Currently, Dave Holland, William Parker, Ben Allison, & John Lindberg.

Tomorrow, Aug 21st...the new Dave Holland 5-tet cd is due out! C'mon Tuesday! ;)
  12. hey guys

i don't know his name, but the bass player from the violent femmes is pretty awesome, and i'm pretty sure he plays an upright, as well as an acoustic.

13. Niels-Henning Orsted Petersen is amazing. When I saw him with Oscar Peterson, he was doing stuff with just his fingers that I didn't even think you could do on electric.

Charlie Haden's another favorite. Christian McBride is pretty cool, too; I dig his arco work in his version of Stanley's "Butterfly Dreams." Almost makes me want to put down that "toy" bass guitar and get an electric upright.
  14. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I was amazed when I first heard Jaco play "Donna Lee", but I later heard Neils Henning Orstead-Pederson play it on upright, and it blew me away.
    One of my favorites is Charlie Haden. I love the way he plays the minimum number of notes, and concentrates on tone. On the other hand, I like Dave Holland, who plays tons of notes. I like Edgar Meyers and Cecil McBee, as well as many mentioned above (Ray Brown, Mingus, Stanley Clarke).
  15. As far as inspiration, mine would be Mingus. His phrasing, voicing, rhythms, they all blew me away the first time I heard him. His music could go from bouncing gospel to The Devil's music in a flash of dissonant syncopation.

And the intensity of his playing just plain amazes me some times.

My favs would be:
    Ron Carter, Miroslav Vitous, Percy Heath, Richard Davis, Edgar Meyer, and Milt Hinton. I also like whoever played with Bob Wills/ Texas Playboys (don't know his name).
  16. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I don't know his name, so it's proabably already been mentioned, but the guy that plays for Aebersold is really good, i think.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Do you mean Chris Fitzgerald ? Or maybe Rufus Reid? ;)
  18. Please tell me that i am not Dave Young's only fan in this board!
  19. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    The guy from The Living End uses a DB, well atleast in the Roll On video. I thought that was awesome have a DB in a punk band.

I saw a bunch of names in there but Im tired and cant remember them, and am too lazy to read the thread again. I think there was James Jamerson and Stanley Clarke in there, those guys are awesome.