upright effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whitehouse, Oct 2, 2002.

1. I am lokking for a effect that will "simulate" an upright bass ... what are affordable effects for this ??
  2. flat wound strings and palm muting
  3. nothing will do it well... sorry...
  4. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You could try messing about with some of the defret fx in various multifx boxes. (I've got a pretty convincing one thru my GT6B, tho that might be a bit out of your league).
  5. cut the mids, rest of the EQ flat, and pluck the strings near the 20'th fret.. that gives you upright-alike sound.. but it's not the exact sound..
  6. no.. I am looking for an effect that will produce some sort of sort of upright bass when I slide
  7. Doesn't Boss have some sort of acoustic simulator pedal?:confused:
  8. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Yes, they do. I use one for a very nice effect but it does nothing to sound like an upright, especially the gliss (or portmento) that I think you're refering to. There are several simulator of the 'mwah' effect, though
  9. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Fretless bass w/front pickup soloed, flats, and a chunk of foam under the the strings near the bridge will give you some THUNK.
  10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    fretless with a piece of foam jammed in the bridge workes pretty well
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You can buy a fretless bass, but that won't sound like an upright. You can try all you want, and get some nice thump, but nothing duplicates the upright sound.
  12. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    An upright bass is a whole other world than the electric bass. You won't have a baby bass sound like an upright anymore than you could make it sound like a harp or piano. This is coming from a bass player though, the average listener probably wouldn't notice the difference if you had a carved top German made upright from the 19th century or a 1987 p-bass. hah
  13. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    How unfortunately true:( !
  14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i know a slightly expensive solution that would knock yer socks off.