Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upright-esk Sound Question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wallyburger, Jan 13, 2003.

1. wallyburger

wallyburger

Jan 13, 2003
    Detroit MI
    Hello all!

Been playing with a swing band now for a number of years and am getting closer to an upright-esk sound as time goes by. I have found with round wound strings, using the tips of my fingers on the finger board and rolling the strings vs plucking I am getting closer. Wondered if anyone had any other technique tips.;)

2. You can palm mute at the bridge with your hand and use your thumb.

I like putting some kind of cloth or foam or something underneath the strings at the bridge to dampen the strings, then play towards the neck. Playing with flatwounds also help.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, buy an upright.

4. wallyburger

wallyburger

Jan 13, 2003
    Detroit MI
    Thanks!

I will play with the foam thing see what I can get out of it.

And yes, I have an upright. Have a very difficult time amping it to get over the 16 members of the band. Thinking of an EUB, but I want to try a few first. There is a lot of debate on sound quality.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ah, good man, Ashbory??? yes? no?

NS design? yes? no?

6. wallyburger

wallyburger

Jan 13, 2003
    Detroit MI
    I call it Beastley. Unknown origin. Probably has many origins. It came to me via the swing band I play for. A big hint. Worked fine for getting the chops back to a degree, but not worth the time, effort, and money to fix up. The band is 29 years old and Beastly has been fixed / modified many times. Time to invest in something that I can gig with.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    oh no, i'm so sorry, i was wonderin if you had THOUGHT of those options. I should have phrased it better.:rolleyes:

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    that would be

"upright-esque"

:p

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    For me, fretless+piezo+flatwound strings+foam mute gets it really close.

10. wallyburger

wallyburger

Jan 13, 2003
    Detroit MI
    Oops, Sorry Polybass, misread that.

I am looking at them now!

I had no idea of the number of possibilities! This will take some time and experimentation.

Wierd thing about fretless bass guitar. My intonation is really bad. I get behind an upright and no problem. Go figgure? Different skill set I guess. I was trained on old upright fingering methodology and had to learn the bass guitar as a very seperate instrument. I even had a huge mental block with reading on the guitar. It took me a good three years for any significient imprinting to occur where I didn't have to think about it. All worth it however, I am having a ball now! :cool: