Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upright for $2000

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Billupnah-Phlup, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Billupnah-Phlup

Billupnah-Phlup

Nov 22, 2001
    Whats a good upright for that price?

Do you think it would be better to try and find a used hidden treasure or buy a new one?

Ive heard good things about strunal basses, they have one right in that price range

Dave

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Depends on what you're after. I've got a Strunal 50/4, that's all laminated (plywood), but I bought it specifically for conditions where a plywood might be a better bet.
    So far, I've been real happy with it and other more experienced players have had positive comments about it.

If you're looking for carved, check out the Romanian fully carved bass that Bob Gollihur (all hail!) is selling on his website. Looks like a good deal, for just under $2K.

http://www.urbbob.com/doublebass.html

He's also an Englehardt dealer and a good guy to work with....he'll help you out. I also suspect he'll be along here shortly :D

3. The Christopher bass, made in China, sells for $2,000 and has gotten good reviews. It's plywood.