Upright in Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Utopia Bass, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Utopia Bass

Utopia Bass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Hi, I'm wondering, do Double Bass "Classical" Players look down (for lack of a better word) at straight pizzicato players that play Jazz, or is it all the same to you. I'm not trying to start controversy :(...only wondering how people felt about it. :)
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Some do, some don't, some you can't tell. I try not to worry about it. There's one guy in town with the orchestra who looks down on everybody, but (it seems, anyway) especially on jazzers. He used to really get on my nerves, but now I mostly feel sorry for him - when you think about it, it's kind of sad to go through life being so bitter. Most of the rest of the Doghouse players I know all respect each other.

(P.S. - In case you can't tell, I'm one of the jazzers.)
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Those who can play generally have no problems with craftsmen from any ilk. I've run into most negativity with the marginal folks. There is always the occasional neurotic...
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It takes more than technical skills. If you're socially inept, arrogant etc you will not land many gigs...

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Most classical bassists have been very supportive, in my experience. There's a guy here who used to be the principal DB in our orchestra; he came to see me on a gig once. I remember him saying "you (jazz) guys do some cute stuff". I've been trying to get some lessons from him for years, but he's very happily retired :mad:
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the answer is - not quite as much as they "look down" on electric bass players in Jazz! ;)
  7. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    This is just speculation, but I'd bet that there are many more jazz players in orchestra bass sections than there were ten or fifteen years ago. There are a ton more opportunities to learn jazz independantly, privately, or even in public schools.

I saw a thing on PBS where the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra "sat in" with the NY Phil on some symphonic Ellington stuff.

During a staged jam session, a bass player from the Phil came down and traded some pretty impressive fours with LCJO's bass player Rodney Whittaker.
  8. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC

I found the Grossman profile. 23 years old?

I hate him.
  9. Yeah, that's him. And a very nice guy, to boot. He's a student of the principal, Gene Levinson, and former student of my teacher, Linda McKnight.
    I met him at AES, where Arnold was setting up his new old bass. He has a separate jazz bass with all gut strings.
    If I remember correctly, he also plays jazz piano. Sort of like our own Chris Fitzgerald.
  10. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    something I heard on National Public Radio about three weeks ago-

Regina Carter (jazz violinist) was recently invited to play the "Canon" (the fiddle Nicolo Paganini used). Her whole band flew over to Italy, just to play a goodwell concert on this axe.

Seeing as she was the first jazzer to use the Canon, some skepticism was abound about the legitimacy of the whole concert. Her response was this "music is just notes. that's all. anybody who has a problem with me playing non-legit music on the Canon is close-minded. Paganini played some wonderful "classical" music. He was also an entertainer, and played animal calls on his instrument."

very well put.
  11. englehart blues

englehart blues

Nov 30, 2001
    ...And do you think jazz bass players look down their noses on .... bluegrass bass players. You know, the cool cat looking down on the hayseeds.
    Justa funny thought! I like jazz, but being thrown together on this site with them boys, I've really grown to like it! It's just one of those great things about the internet, putting people together who ordinarilly wouldn't be put toghether.
  12. Utopia Bass

Utopia Bass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Thank You all for the legthy and descriptive posts I appreciate it very much! Been too busy to check the board and man this thing moves!:eek: Anyway, I think I understand where a lot of you are coming from. And as for this:

Yes I know what you mean...call me biased but I think that should be banned!!!! :D J/K I love playing my electric, but don't like when I see them at festivals...it almost is as if they got a guitar player to play it.(from the use of the pick) :rolleyes::D

But anyway I think I'll enjoy my stay here and once again thanks for the replies.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Now I'm insulted - I would never use a pick at a Jazz gig and haven't in fact touched one of the things since about 1985! :D
  14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Steve Swallow does pretty well with a pick on jazz gigs.