Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upright Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by psubassist, Apr 7, 2004.

1. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have just started to really dive into jazz, I'll play it on my electric (a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz with flatwounds, very phat sound) but what I would love to purchase is an upright bass. Is there any recommendation for an introductory upright bass.

Thanks
    John

2. Gentlemen, we have a DOA...

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    John, welcome to the board.

There is a wealth of information here, and much of it is fairly easy to find: At the top of most of the topics you will find the "Newbie Links." Chris Fitzgerald has taken a lot of time to prepare them. These are essentially indexes (indices?) of threads people have made over the years on frequently asked topics. If you see something in one of them that you want to respond to, just post a reply and the thread will be reactivated.

Please, look them over, and feel free to speak right up.

4. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    DOA???

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Deaf on Arrival?
    Don't over-Ask?
    Delete or Answer?
    Does one Acquiese?

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

Definitely Owe Arnold!

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It's our own little club for this side of TB, "Doghouse Owner's of America." Welcome.

Don't let the name fool you. We are a worldwide organization.

8. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    sounds good.......

are there any recommendations for an upright bass for jazz, i do have intentions of learning some classical styles with it as well, but i would primarily like it for jazz...

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC

There are lots and lots of suggestions.

Most of them have been made in a variety of threads in BASSES.

Most of the threads have been collected and posted in a sticky at the top of BASSES.

GO THERE. READ THREADS. NOT BOTHER ADULTS TIL YOU READ. GO NOW! GO READ! READ GOOD!YOU GET ANSWERS! ANSWERS GOOD.

Keerist.

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    No offense but it's just sad how many people don't realize that most of the information they want is readily available. Is it too hard to click on a couple links or do a simple search? What? Are we just too lazy to look for ourselve? Jeeeez. At least if I post new newbie threads that I think my questions are a little vague and aren't completely answered by the newbie threads.

Well maybe it'd be better if that info was more prominent. Is there a way to create big bright buttons that say:
    ***You wanna buy or learn to play DB? Click here***
    This is the user-interface engineer in me talking.

But really... with so much use of the internet... is it not that hard that it just takes a little looking around to find these links? These kinda things just makes me long for the days or yore when the internet was available only to academia... when users had a clue or they simply got booted and lost their unix account. (yes I was a whippersnapper then, but I watched my step!) What happened? Where did all the tyrants go?!? :bawl: