1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upright modelling used withEUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ken downe, Jun 3, 2017.

1. ken downe

ken downe

Aug 21, 2014
    Has anyone had any luck with upright modelling used with EUB to achieve a more upright sound. Zoom A2,A3 or AC2

2. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I use the acoustic modeling in my zoom ms-100bt and it does a nice job of getting my EUB to sound closer to a DB. It is not specifically for a bass or upright but it sounds good. I can't imagine playing EUB without it.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  3. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

This sounded intriguing so I dug a bit and found this old thread about the A3:

Zoom A3 pedal...for DB?!?

The AC-2 also looks interesting, but the A3 has more features and can run a piezzo AND a mic (with phantom power provided). Here is a link to the AC-2 and then a video clip.

AC-2 Acoustic Creator

The Gear Junkie (that's me) may have to try one of these when I get back from vacation.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Groove Doctor and Steve Boisen like this.
  4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'm curious about this for my Eminence bass. I found this video on

More info about this video here.

And I also found this review on Sweetwater:

"I originally purchased and reviewed this to use with my NS Design NXT electric upright bass, and was really pleased with the upright bass modeling. Since then, I've found I can also use it for live work with the DPA d:vote 4099B - bass mic, which it also provides phantom power for, and at the same time run the Realist bass transducer pickup. No need for a mixer, as there are separate levels for each. It's limited in that there are no separate EQs, but somehow it all sounds incredible great. Plus effects!"

- Steve

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  5. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    The AC-2 is a brand new product so there's less information about it. The A3 was introduced in 2013 and while it has more features, it's also larger, more complicated, and uses more batteries. If the upright bass modeling is the same, I'd probably opt for the AC-2. I probably wouldn't use the effects or mic features.

- Steve

rickwolff likes this.
  6. rickwolff

Steve, Thanks, so much, for finding and posting this! My thoughts:

1. It definately gets rid of the pizzo 'quack', but I'm not sure it does that better than I can currently with one of my EQ's (GB shuttle semi-parametric mic, EDB-2, or Fishman Dual parametric).

2. I like that this model accepts both 1/4 inch piezzo input as well as mic input (AND provides phantom power).

3. Some of the features sound really intriguing, ie the dual parametric EQ and the Mic modeling.

4. Re you comment below about batteries and size compared to the newer AC-2. Compare the specs, there is only a SMALL difference in both weight and size. Yes, this one takes more batteries 4 vs 2 BUT it also runs over twice as long, 8 hrs vs 3. (I use rechargable Ni-Mi batteries so I don't mind replacing/recharging them.

5. I expect I'll get one of these when I get back in 6 weeks. If I'm feeling ambitious I may do an A/B recording NOT comparing On vs Off, but comparing ON vs my EDB-2 or Fishman Dual Para.

Again, thanks, I really enjoyed the additional info you found.

PS One of my main uses would be to try to get my BSX EUB to sound closer to the DB.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  7. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
  8. rickwolff

Thanks Steve. I read the review and listened to the sound clips and frankly, it doesn't seem to be doing much besides the mid-scoop thing.

I'm really excited about trying out the Zoom A-3. It looks to be very versatile well thought out. I can appreciate that there is a bit of a learning curve, but as one reviewer said: once you know which effects you wish to use and get your sound dialed in it's no longer complicated. I'll be back in 6 weeks and if you haven't tried one before that I'll let you know how it does.

If you get a chance to try it please post about it. I'm not bringing a bass on my travels but I will have my computer.

9. rickwolff

I added the video of the band back in post #3.

I think the bass has a very nice, clear, natural sound that really allows you to hear the pitch of each individual note very clearly.

I can't wait to get back from my trip (in 6 weeks) and give it a try.

10. rickwolff

And here is a Really Nice Review of the A3 on an acoustic guitar:

11. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I took my Eminence bass to the local Guitar Center where they have both the TC Electronic BodyRez pedal and the amplifier I often use, a Markbass CMD 121P combo. While testing the pedal, I set amplifier's EQ flat with VLE filter off and the VPF filter set at 9:00. At first, I liked what the BodyRez did for the sound. It didn't make the Eminence sound any more like a real double bass, but the sound was instantly smooth and full with the pedal engaged and the "body" knob at 50%. I soon realized that what I was hearing was a hyped up low end and a pronounced mid-scoop, something that I was able to closely replicate using the amplifier's four-band EQ and two voicing filters. There was an element to the BodyRez sound that I couldn't quite reproduce with the EQ. I suspect this is the compression, but it also lent a slightly artificial quality to the sound.

This little pedal might be great for an amplified acoustic guitarist who is looking for a simple, low-cost way to improve their sound, but I'm not sure that it would offer any real advantage for me.

- Steve

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Randy Ward likes this.
  12. rickwolff

Steve, your experience confirmed my suspicion regarding that unit.

I'd love to hear if you get a chance to try the Zoom A3 and AC-2.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  13. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Has anyone tried the ToneDexter?

Here's a link

ToneDexter | by AudioSprockets

Not sure it would be good for EUB unless you had a DB to sample. You connect a mic and your pickup to it and it figures out how to restore the miced sound. You only have to do it once and then you recall the saved tone print whenever you use that instrument. I wonder if you sampled you DB but played your EUB through it how close it would sound to the DB. They have a bunch of video demonstrating it but none with a DB.

14. I'm almost sure that in the ToneDexter only a small interval (third?) graphic equalizer is tuned due to the analysis to give the spectrum but no resonances, which would be a lot more difficult to analyze.

15. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I lean towards the Zoom A3. I use the graphic eq on my zoom ms-100bt to drop 400hz and 3.2khz down 12db like how I would setup my fishman pro bass eq. The a3 has a graphic eq as an effect choice. The ac-2 would have to sound great by itself. Other than reverb, it is only the modeling.

Steve Boisen and rickwolff like this.
  16. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    This all makes perfect sense. I just don't enjoy knob twiddling and scrolling through menus. That's why I hoped the TC BodyRez would work out. I have a strong desire to keep my upright bass and EUB amplification setup simple. I've even avoided having a separate head and cabinet.

- Steve

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    madbanjoman likes this.
  17. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Same here. I replaced my Fishman platinum pro eq with my zoom ms-100bt because it is smaller and can do everything that the fishman does and more. My amp is a markbass micromark 801. Again simple, two knobs.

Groove Doctor and Steve Boisen like this.
  18. rickwolff

I knew I was going to go nuts on vacation without having a bass along (it was a conscious decision so my wife wouldn't feel like she was playing 'second fiddle'.

Anyway, I will be ordering a Zoom A3 when I get home in the middle of July and will try it both on my carved bass and my BSX.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has or gets one, I'd love to hear your thoughts and or your recordings.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  19. @edfriedland employs the TC Electronic BodyRez for his Mavericks gig, as noted in the June 2017 issue of BassPlayer Magazine.

However, I don't know if he's using it with his Chadwick folding bass (quite likely, given the extra brace kept inside the Chadwick to fight feedback at the volumes being played) or if he's using it with his Fender Precision — maybe both!

Also in the gear list for the Mavericks is the Radial PZ-Pre and a BBE Sonic Stomp.

20. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I asked Ed about this. He said he uses the BodyRez to add depth and realism to his sound since his Chadwick bass has the body acoustically muted when playing live. He uses it on the minimum setting.

- Steve

Groove Doctor likes this.