Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upright or upwrong?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Ok, so here's the deal,
    I am still in teh process of designing my new bass and I just got some inspiration from the forum, which means that I will have to change my plans completely, but that's ok. I've always liked the look and sound of uprights but just can't justify spending the money on something that huge and something that can only be used at a certain volume. I saw some electric uprights and then the inspiration struck me. Is it possible, better yet, practicle to make an electric upright? I am pretty knowledgeful at creating "standard electic basses" and my father has 7 years of furnature making under his belt so he is extremely capable of woodwork as well (If I sound like I'm bragging I'm sorry, I don't mean to). But if anyone has any advice, plans, websites for supplies, anything, because I'm truely stepping into new waters here. Thanks in advance. :help:

2. First, I suggest you read through this thread. An EUB is a project that I plan on undertaking someday, too.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    There's no difference in making EUB's, from making bass guitars - as long as you stay with the same kind of bodies (solid for solid, semisolid for semisolid, etc).

Except geometrical differences, of course.

You need just the same amount of planning and patience.