1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

upright or voice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jamersonburton, Jun 4, 2014.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Hi,
    I am an electric bassist who can play a bit of guitar and a beat or two on a drum kit.
    In order to expand my knowledge of music and improve my overall ability to play music, i have had two ideas due to a job starting in the fall (keep in mind i am a student).
    1) save my money and by next summer, invest in a beginner upright bass + lessons. I love the sound, especially in folk and jazz. I've wanted to play upright for a long time.

2) I have also wanted to sing for a long time and it is useful for my own compositions/playing with others. I have tried to teach myself in the past without success and am considering lessons from a professional throughout the year. I want to sing as much as i want to play upright but cannot fund both goals.

If there is any advice for me, from seasoned players or hobbiests, feel free to give me some guidance. I have been thinking more and more about this for the last couple of weeks.

Sorry if there are typos, i am typing from my phone.

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I got a lot out of voice lessons. Upright is fun but takes a huge amount of commitment and brings another set of problems. If you want to just simply expand your musicianship, I would just stick with voice. Theres a ton of overhead with DB and only makes snes to do so if you really love it.

Tom Lane likes this.
  3. Here's two guys that do both.......I say go for it.

And.....

4. For me, both double bass and voice have been a long, hard road, but I enjoy both very much.

After over 2 years of weekly voice lessons, I'm finally semi-comfortable with singing in public, but the ladies still don't swoon when I open my mouth. Singing while playing bass is quite difficult for me; you have to sing a 5th or 3rd (or whatever) while playing the root note (or whatever on bass), so you have to learn intervals. With guitar or piano chords, the note you're trying to sing usually is in the chord, so it's easier to find the note you're going for.

For me, the double bass skills are more marketable, but there's a real shortage of bass players in my community. After 3 years on double bass (and occasional lessons), I'm in 2 bands playing 2 totally different kinds of music; and one group even lets me sing now & then.

Ultimately, you need to follow your heart…

Good luck & have fun!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    You are a cruel man.

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Learning to sing will enhance your musical abilities in so many ways, I really think it is the way to go here. :)

7. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    I have considered the options some more and taken into account all your suggestions, so thank you. I think I will take some voice lessons soon and leave upright (or electric upright) for a future date.

bass81800 likes this.
  8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Good! A huge part of singing well is learning to hear intonation well. Hearing intonation well is also a huge part playing the double bass well. Improving your singing will have a very positive impact on your double bass playing when you do get to it.

Garagiste likes this.
  9. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I say get the bass..and learn both at the same time.