1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright patch for Zoom B3/MS60-B/B1on?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DrVenkman, Jun 5, 2014.

1. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I did some search through the various threads on these and couldn't find that anyone had come up with a patch to emulate an upright. Standard caveats, I know nothing else really sounds like an upright, but has anybody got anything that gets close? My current approach is all technique based (pluck right by the fingerboard with either the side of my finger or with my thumb, and either palm mute or stick some foam under the strings), but I just got a B1on and I'm interested in what else might be possible.

2. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    The fretless sim will help and an eq set with slightly reduced highs and low mids and slightly boosted hi-mids and lows (I saw the eq suggestion in a bass player magazine, gives that slightly hollow sound). Flat wound strings on the bass always help a lot.

3. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Brasil
    Some foam placed near the bridge helps a lot to get a "dynamic" like upright basses, decreases sustein.

Foam_zps44658a5a.

4. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I generally do put some foam under the strings by the bridge and agree that really helps. Only time I don't if there's not enough time between songs to make the switch, and then I rely on some careful palm muting.

jking138, I tried the Defret effect last night and it was OK, but I really like your EQ suggestion. I'll give that a shot tonight.

I also played around with adding just a bit of the EarlyRef reverb to the defret effect. I didn't get anything dialed in to my satisfaction but I think there's some promise there. I think I'll try Defret+EarlyRef+Ba GEQ, along with the usual foam and plucking up by the fretboard, and see where that gets me.

I also tried adding a bit of the BaAutoWah, dialed back pretty far, to Defret, but didn't care for it.

5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Did you try the actual fretless factory preset patch? I've never been a fan of the Defret on its own, but they did a really good job with the fretless patch on the B1on. Also look to any of the patches called FAT or DRY, those usually give that woody sound, might be something to glean.

6. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    D'oh! I somehow missed that entirely! My only defense is I just got the thing and I'm still learning my way around it. I'll take a look at that one plus the FAT and DRY ones you suggest. Thanks!

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Well, there's only like a hundred patches to try out, ha. If you end up with something good, be sure to post it in one of the mega threads so it doesn't get lost.

8. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    there is a specific upright preset already there towards the end of the presets. perhaps a starting point?

9. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I spent a little more time playing with this and haven't got anything I'm completely satisfied with yet, but best so far is Ba GEQ+Defret+EarlyRef. To be honest, technique seems to have a much bigger impact - foam under the strings by the bridge and pluck with the sides of my fingers up near the fret board. I feel like the sound is 80-90% technique and the B1on providing just that little bit extra.

I played with adding just a touch of vibrato too; I'm still tweaking but might have something there. Likewise I think there's still some EQ tweaking to do.

The patch that comes with the B1on was OK but to me sounded more fretless electric bass than upright. In particular I didn't care for the Ba Ensmbl used as part of the patch.

10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

One of the things the upright does is have the sound rattle around in the body just a little. You might try a very small amount of slap-back reverb. Almost imperceptible is about right so it doesn't muddy the attack but does alter the following sound might work. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it would work.

11. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
  12. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    gastric, thanks, but one of the things the B3 can do that the B1on can't is download/upload patches; you have to set them all by hand. Can you just post which effects you use and their settings?

13. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    Your right, technique is absolutely the main factor. The electric bass was first issued with foam covers on the bridge to imitate the double bass I read somewhere. Flat wound strings plucked with the side of the finger over the frets at end of the fret board will do most of the work for you. Here's a great video on how to use foam for different sounds. A slight slap back echo/reverb like mentioned is a great idea, try rolling the tone on the bass back a bit as well.