1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright player looking for an electric 4 string for jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boardndave, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Boardndave

Boardndave

May 16, 2006
    Any suggestions on a bass that I could use for Jazz? I've currently got a Fender Mexican Jazz Bass, but I want to move up to something far better. I wanna keep it at 4 strings... It'd be used for Jazz styles i.e. Swing, Funk, Basic Rock, Latin, etc. Suggestions???

2. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    'far better' in what ways ?? ... sound, electronics, fit and finish ?? ... do you want to stay in the Fender line, or just in a 'jazz' style ?? .... is your MIM a Standard or a RI?? ... any limitations, such as $$?? passive, active matter?? ... any 'appearance' criteria you want to meet ??? ... just to help narrow it down a bit :)

Edit to add: ... just saw you were a Minneesodan ... hows things down around the big river >>??

3. Boardndave

Boardndave

May 16, 2006
    Far better in quality, electronics, and sound. I had a long talk on the phone with John Patituci the other day about a concerto he wrote, and we got to talking about electrics. If I could shoot for any sound, it would be something around what his electric sound is like... Clear/bright, etc... Should I be looking at Warwicks? Oh, and I don't care about pickup styles either. What I meant by "jazz" was for playing in a big band/combos, etc... Doesn't matter whether or not it's passive or active, though I do have a preference towards active. Appearance-wise, I like to keep low key. If I had the money, I would be all over a Modulus quilt top... And price-wise, I would be willing to spend up to about 1,000 bucks.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ah, OK, the budget is a big factor here. Asking "what is a good bass for jazz" is seriously a lot like asking "what is a good shoe for jogging". Granted, not every shoe is good for jogging, but there are so many hundreds of "right answers", that the question becomes meaningless.

If you check the TB classifieds, you'll see a large number of basses within your budget, many of which would be honestly excellent for jazz. Maybe you could write down a list of the ones that look good to you, and then ask everyone here for their opinions of those specific basses?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sorry to go off topic, but that fretless in your avatar looks incredible!!!!

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    How about a Yamaha TRB1004? It fits your price range, has a bright sound, active electronics, and an attractive but not over-the-top look.

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use a fretless Stingray with TI Flats. It sounds great for jazz, R&B, rock...:cool:

8. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    maybe a lakland skyline? i have played a 44-01 and liked it and those 55-02's look super spiffy...

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I use a MIM Fretless Jazz.
    I'm at school for Jazz right now. I mean...Fender has to be good for Jazz! It even has it in the name!!

10. if you're going for that patitucci electric sound then it makes a lot of sense to try out the yamaha trb-1004, as mentioned a few posts up. Also, if you can find some to try, see if you can get your hands on one of the older bb series yamahas. i've got the bb1500a and it can get pretty close to that patitucci electric tone. I'm one of those electric guys playing jazz.. and i find this bass sits really well in a jazz setting.

11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    This is what I use; Takamine B-10. All I play is jazz. It doesn't really fit the Patituci sound model though.

View attachment 47311

12. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa

umm....how bout a (used)modulus vj4 with a quilt top. Seriously though, they're in your price range and there darn good(IMO).
    I used to have one a few years back. Most complain that either they lack in mids or they sound steril, but i think thats attributed to the pre amp and barts that come with it. Mine had a 27 volt aggie pre with rio grande muy grande pups........orange burst/quilt top.......absolutely nothing sterile about that one. Bark, burp, grawl, talk, sing, silky and smooth...it took whatever i threw at it and made it sound better.(yes, i said 27volts. thats 3 batteries if you didn't want to do the math:D )

13. volts my friend volts.

14. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I played upright to 5 years before starting to play electric (that was a LONG time ago) and I adore my Carvin LB70 Fretless
    Most versitile bass I've ever owned
    http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=LB70
    Its well worth the $$ for the P-series electronic upgrade (puts piezo pickups in the bridge)

15. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
    oh...my bad...

16. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Since you can't afford a Ken Smith, how about a peavy cirrus? Not my cup of tea, buy they can do a Hi Fi jazz tone.
    To me it sounds like you should get a versatile instrument.

I think you can get a better value if you buy used.

I second the nominations for TRB's and Stingrays.

personally, I like Jazz type instruments with upgraded pickups and pre's.

17. +1...lakland skyline, yes...a Joe Osborn or Bob Glaub, perhaps