Upright players : what BG do you have ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crocau, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Hi ! Here is a tricky question. I mainly play my upright bass, but i need to keep an electric bass for occasions, like studio, being asked to play electric at gigs, or for rehersals while there is a snowstorm.

Being an upright bass player what would be the only electric bass you would keep ?
  2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    My fretless Jazz bass is stuck in the corner of my closet.
  3. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    heh, i have a 77pbass with maple fretboard(sitting in closet since the original pup needs rewinding) and a b width neck that is nice and chunky depth wise, has a real bright sound, plays ok, needs a shim in the neck pocket to get the action just right, oh yeah it weighs 8.5lbs too.

my current working bass is another pbass...a parts bass, mid 70's(ash) body that i stained, put an old schecter neck with rosewood fretboard, it has a fender reissue pup in it.....
    i think i only spent about $350 to put the whole thing together and i like it much more than any store basses i have played.
    this bass is much darker sounding than the 77 bass and that was with the same pup in each bass....both with passive electronics.

you know though, i still only really practice on double bass and play that the most, i'll probably sell the original bass when its time for me to start looking for a double bass of my own(using the schools now), i figure the longer i wait the more money i should get for it when i do sell it :D
  4. mister_k

Jul 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I keep a 70's P-Bass modded to have interchangeable fingerboards (I'm serious--fretted, fretless, and aluminum fretless.) It keeps me out of trouble in the studio. And I have a Hofner "Beatle" copy from '69 that I use for alternate tuning and treated bass business for one of my bands.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If anything I may pickup a fretless Fender Jazz for the odd gig where I play a few funk or r&b tunes. I could never go fully back to electric though.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    While I never actually practice BG anymore, I play out with it much more than DB.

I have a Modulus Q5 that I wouldn't trade for anything.
  7. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I have a Stagg fretless! :cool:
  8. I have the old trusty '71 Jazz, a fretless PBass and an Ashbory. I'm really surprised that we haven't heard more about these instruments. The Ashbory is the best sounding electric bass I've heard. They remain fairly inexpensive and they are certainly the easiest bass to transport. Haven't seen it? Go to any search engine and enter "Ashbory". Last I checked, this instrument is the ONLY thing that will show up.
  9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Fender Jazz fretless

Warwick 5 string fretted (I use it mostly for r&b)
  10. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I have an old Fender P-Bass, 1960. I keep it strung with flats, that are now allmost 5 years old. I will never get rid of this bass, it's one of the best P-Basses I've ever seen. It's too valuable to take on the road though, so I don't get to play it as much as I'd like to.
    I have a bunch of other electric basses too, a Yamaha BB-3000, it's a good all-around gigging bass, a Peavey TL-5, a 70's Jazz Bass and a new Fender Roscoe Beck 5 String, which is the electric bass I travel with now. I like it, because it gets a tone that's pretty close to a Fender Jazz Bass, with the added range of the B string. I play it maybe 10% of the time when I'm not playing my Eminence on the road.
    I have to travel light, so it's Eminence, shipped as regular baggage and an electric bass in it's gigbag stowed inside the airplanes cabin. A Raven Labs Blender into whatever amp is available, that's my humble, but eminently practical road rig.
    If I could afford it right now, I'd buy one of Ken Smiths Hand Made 5 String Basses,
    maybe next year...
    If I had to recomend just one electric bass to someone who played mostly upright I'd go with a P-Bass, that sound has been tried and true for many years now. Works well with allmost any kind of music. The Jazz Bass would be a very close second. I have not tried one yet, but Ken Smith has got a new bass that's made overseas that looks a lot like a Jazz Bass, with modern refinements like active EQ. Comes in a 5 string version too. Looks like a lot of bass for not too much money!
  11. Mendry37

Oct 19, 2004
    Albany, New York
    I have a Peavy Cirrus that has been under my bed for about 7 months now.
  12. joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    SX Bg-180 (financially challenged). Didn't realize how easy the bass guitar was to play, after playing an upright.
  13. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've got a few electrics, but for most of what I do I love my Smith. It's so playable and always sounds good, very consistent. I have had the bass for about a year and never adjusted the neck in any way. The fretwork is impeccable. Mine is not a fancy model (BSRJ), but the quality I am sure is on par with any Smith and, therefore, any other handmade bass.

14. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Alembic Essence, Alembic Series I, Michael Dolan custom 36" scale six string, ESH Impact 5, Kawai F2B, Robin Ranger VI, FrankenFender P-Bass, Fernandes TEB-1, One off Ibanez prototype made in LA by Mace Bailey, et al

15. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I have a 4-string MusicMan Stingray that will cut through the mix no matter how many obnoxious guitar players there are, and a fretless Mexican made Jazz bass that I put 62 reissue pick-ups on.

Any more, I use them mostly to sit in front of the computer and learn the basics of new songs for church before moving downstairs to the upright.

My only gig is the pop band at church every week, and every once in a while there will be a fast rocker (a relative term) that cries out for electric. Other than that, it's all UB for me.
  16. A Dean Performer A/E strung with flats. It doesn't come out of the gig bag all that much now that I have the Ergo.
  17. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    my BG is a warmoth '59 Pbass with flats.
  18. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    The more used BG in my house is a custom ordered Pedulla Pentabuzz w/Labella Tapewounds. And edging back towards Fenders w/a modified Japanese '75 Jazz reissue. Also have eyes on a Marcus Miller 5. :ninja:
  19. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have five BGs, although I use them much less since I started playing Double Bass.

In order of disposability they are:

G&L L2000 fretless - looks good, great sound, plays well, but I rarely use it anymore. It's also a little heavy, so it'll be the first to go.

Lakland 55-01 5-string. Great bass, nice quilted top, records well, but I've never really got comfortable with the extra string, so it doesn't get the use it should.

Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub. A "super-P-Bass", it's strung with TI flats and is a great Blues/R&B bass.

Lakland Skyline JO. A "super-J-Bass" has J-Retro active electronics and strung with Fodera nickel rounds it kills as a funk/slap bass.

80s Japanese Fender Jazz Fretless - unlined fingerboard, J-Retro, TI flats. It's light, plays beautifully, very versatile in tone, and overall rather unique. I picked it up cheap on eBay to fill in when I didn't have access to my other basses, modded it a little and I've become so attached to it that it would be the last to go.

So there you have it - a house full of basses and I only feel like practicing on the DB

20. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Just own a Graphic Guitar Systems 5 String semi-hollowbody (no F- holes) now. Jerry -founder of GGS, started up Modulus in the early days and left to start his own company.

Plan to buy 5 string headless version with either a bolt neck or glue in ( like my current one), next year. Haven't decided yet.
    About 3-4 years ago, I sold my pair of headless Status 4's series 2000's fretless & fretted to buy a pair of Jerry's fretted & fretless 5's & King DB.
    ( I took up DB again- after college.. 20 years later. I also wish I didn't sell my 1900's Italian bass now too - I sold it about 24 years ago- and it needed major work. Had no idea back then what these basses would cost today.. Hindsight is such perfect vision :crying: Not including If I would of kept playing too. :( Oh well- )

Then I sold my GGS solid body to buy a GGS hollowbody fretted 5'er.
    And last year I sold my GGS Semi Hollowbody fretless 5 'er with a rosefingerboard to pay off some medical bills & help
    buy a 50's ?? Roth french bow.
    So now: I just have 1 EB & 2 DB's.