1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright players with huge egos..

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Alex Spradling, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Who? This is a silly question just for fun, and a bit of raw curiosity. Which of our double bass hero's have generous amounts of confidence in their abilites. ;) Anecdotes are encouraged..(and sought after)

2. mingus, i suppose, but he has all the tools to back it up...
    no questions asked

peace

3. Noir

Noir

Mar 14, 2006
    Among my favourites, Miroslav Vitous.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Everybody who plays a solo on any instruments needs to believe, "I am so amazing that you need to listen to me RIGHT NOW."

A Great Kahuna of the bass once said that the way to play the introductory phrase to the Dragonetti Concerto is to make your bass sing: "I . . . AM . . . HEEEEEEERE . . . oh good oh good oh good oh good oh good oh good oh good!"

5. zaghy

zaghy

Mar 1, 2003
    Serbia
    HA! :)
    This is sooo good ...
    :hyper:

6. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    This is quite true. I have to question, though, the value of a thread that's devoted to talking about bass players who are jerks. Let's stick to bashing singers instead of maligning our own kind.;)

P.S. Sam, you might not want to advertise your workshops as 'Free Clinics'. You could wind up with a whole different crowd there....

7. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    I have never met a Jerk bass player. Even the cocky ones are friendly people.

8. philip sirois

philip sirois

May 29, 2006
    NYC
    I'll have to say that my experience, as a total amateur bassist, with the heavy hitters and top-notch players I've had the chance to meet has been all positive. Many have actually offered to let me play their basses (sometimes very valuable ones)when, after a brief chat, they found out I played a little. Try that with your average guitarist and see how far you get. I'm sure there are trippers out there, of cousre, but they don't seem to be the norm.

9. Jerk is not the operative phrase here. I was looking for those with confidence in their abilties. I remember a funny anecdote about Miroslav talking about how he played faster than NHOP with two fingers. This is the kind of stuff i was trying to look for. I mean its funny, we can all laugh about that story because its funny. I was pursuing semi-humorous stories more than trying to start a witch hunt.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Eberhard Weber is a grumpy old man.
    Extremelly talented, willing to share his vast knowledge.
    He knows that he's right and that you're wrong, not ready to let doubt get in his way.

11. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Gary Peacock maybe? I recall he refused to play with Elvis Costello.

12. mainefiddle

mainefiddle

Jul 27, 2006
    Auburn, ME
    I am a jazz violinist myself, and have found all of the bass players I have worked with to be really nice, friendly guys. Now guitar players on the other hand.............

13. It is the guys who refuse to practice and study the instrument that always strike me as arrogant.
    They can be the nicest guys in the world in conversation but they really have to think they are geniuses to get on stage with no practice and study- even in the cases where it works out in their favor.
    This goes double when they brag about it, in most cases it is pretty obvious anyway!

14. Awesome.

15. Awesome.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Actually, he's one of those who say they never practice the instrument anymore.

17. rprowse

rprowse

Dec 17, 2005
    Wellington NZ
    In his dreams!
    By a funny twist of fate, I happen to look physically very similar to Miroslav... to the extent that I was once mistaken for him. If this happens again, I will modestly point out that NHOP was much faster and apologise for my arrogence.
    ...anyway, Miroslav's arco sound was a bit scratchy when I heard him.

18. I just think that it takes nerve to play something so big and unruly.

Kneehimiah

www.ramonpooser.com

19. rprowse

rprowse

Dec 17, 2005
    Wellington NZ
    Big and unruly?
    My bass fells like a woman when I put my left arm over its shoulder. Only difference is that I don't have to carry my wife to gigs... only home if she's had too many wines.