Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upright Simulation- muting technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by redrumnjd, Jul 15, 2000.

1. redrumnjd

redrumnjd

Jun 17, 2000
    I was on Bass Player magazine's webiste recently, and I came across an article on how to emulate the sound of an upright using a simulation technique that involves partially muting the strings with the side of your plucking hand at the bridge, and using your thumb to pluck. I was blown away by my new discovery...it is incredibly useful for reggae, where an almost muddy, booming tone is needed, and hip hop or some forms of electronica, where a synth-bass is needed. I ran my bass thru a Menatone Mail Bomb and an EH Bassballs pedal after I learned the basics of the technique, and you'd be surprised at how many cool sounding synth-like tones I was able to get. This is definitely a technique that is worth experimenting with. Do any of you use it in your music? Have you found any tricks or anything interesting? I'd like to hear about them.

-Nick
    redrumnjd@aol.com

2. um... everything thats oldies, i like to use that techniqe. like all that old creedence stuff, i like to "mute" the strings, i feel it provides that "vintage" sound. also when messing around, i figured that if you cut some of the high's and turn up the low's, it adds more of a "full" sound with that "muted" tone. its neat to experament with the eq when messing with the "mute"

3. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    dam you people use your pinky and place it in different positions closer and farther away from the bridge and use your fingers for some speed!!!
    seriously i hate palm muters

4. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I may have read the same article..was it Will Lee talking about a piece he did on Letterman? the second aspect of the "upright" sound was the amount of reverb used to simulate the space of the cavity of the bass and,yes, it is an excellent technique for vintage sound.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What is also useful, is to play lines high up on the lower strings - B and E. This adds to the upright simulation.I don't tend to like reverb however, as this can just sound like feedback, but then maybe that is just part of the "authentic" upright experience! [​IMG]

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I like the muted sound too, especially on a fretless. Check out Bass Mute topic for a link to a very nifty muting device that fits just in front of the bridge and has a lever that allows you to engage/disengage even during a song. Mute allows you to play with your fingers at full speed without worrying about muting as well.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Does there exist a pedal or a processor that has the capability of giving an electric bass a credible double bass sound?

While we are at it, does there exist a pedal or processor that can simulate a credible fretless sound? Jason Oldsted