Upright sound for a Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zaltar, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Zaltar

Nov 22, 2003
    I've got a 1973 Fender Jazz bass that I use for a weekly combo gig. I'm trying to make this bass sound as much like an upright as possible. I play through an Ampeg rig, 4x10 with the SVT 3-Pro. I'm currently using some dead roundwounds, but I feel like there should be strings out there that would come closer to the sound I want....

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The most URB-ish sounding strings I've tried are Rotosound 88's. Very dark and thumpy. These are nylon tapewounds, and are more URB-ish than other tapes I've tried. Dean Markley flatwounds are also dark and thuddy, again moreso than other flats I've used. Also, putting some foam rubber under the strings at the bridge helps with the strong attack and quick decay that we often hear from the URB. Or, if you have the bridge cover on, you can stick the foam between the cover and the strings.
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Uprights have 3 big caracteristics first is a giant fundamental in the tone and another is short note duration. Third is the technique used when playing, IE lots of open notes playing in open positions ect.

4. Check out this THREAD