Upright Sound out of an Electric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maladroit1, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Maladroit1

Jul 7, 2004
    St. Louis
    Hi everyone. I am new to the board and I hope you can help me pick the best bass for my needs. I play with a Rockabilly/Punkabilly band but dont play a standup bass. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I can do to help get that upright sound out of an electric. I am looking at getting a new bass (Playing on a Squire Jazz bass right now with flatwound strings) Should I be looking at a Jazz Bass or a P Bass? I am pretty new to this stuff so im sorry if I am asking dumb questions. Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Technique will help a bit with this. To do the best approximation of the upright vibe, I solo the neck pickup, roll off the passive tone, cut treble, and play close to the neck with a muted thumb technique. If you want to go a step further put tape wound strings on your bass. It won't sound exactly like one, but some high quality basses with coupled with the right technique can get surprisingly close IMO.
  3. Fretless P bass. Flat wounds, tone off playing at the end of the fretboard.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    see that?
    2 replies, 2 totally different approaches.......and probably both right
    actually this would probably be better off in the technique forum as that what it boils down to
    i tend to favor the thumb muted technique - remember, the original fender bass was supposed to be played that way
  5. BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I have a fretless '70's Aria Fender J Copy with a bridge DiMarzio J in the neck position and all of the highs rolled off...it's been mistaken for an upright from people who could only hear me play and not see me play (in a pit during a musical).
  6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I was in that trying to get an Electric to sound like an Uporight mentality for awhile there. While P Bass with flats and the right technique and amp settings can get you almost there, the BEST bass for that kind of thing is, bar none, the Rob Allen MB-2 fretless bass

IMHO of course
  7. Using foam rubber to damp the strings helps, too. That way you get the percussive thump and rapid decay of an upright.
  8. emor

May 16, 2004
  9. Maladroit1

Jul 7, 2004
    St. Louis
    Based on that soundclip, it seems that it does a pretty good job. I have never seen this bass before.