Upright store in los angeles?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bass., Feb 16, 2007.

1. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    i want to get an upright to learn on. I am taking some classes at school and i think upright is where id like to focus my attention.
    Does anyone know of a place in La with Uprights and other ''orchestral'' instruments that i could actually get my hands on?

thanks

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I know someone will say it, so I'll beat them to the punch :D
    How about Lemur Music? I know, it's in San Juan Capistrano, but that really isn't that far a drive (of course, with LA traffic, it could take a day). They're a great store, and will make appointments to meet on Saturdays so that you can try out their basses...

Best of luck!

3. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I will second that with Lemur. They have a large selection of double basses and bows. And, the people there are terrific to deal with.

World of Strings in Long Beach is another great shop.

4. Rocky

Rocky Inactive

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'd check with Lisa Gause, shes a very reputable luthier in LA and she may know of a bass for sale. Also, check with the musicians institute. Puter Smith teaches there and he mentioned something about upright basses the school refers to students for purchase. Good Luck

5. +3
    The people at Lemur music at great to deal with. I purchased a bass from them (my first upright) last summer and I could not be happier. I spend about 6 hours there playing every bass in the store till the one I own talked to me.
    They are truly world class.

6. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I haven't lived in LA for more than 15 years, so I don't know if they're still there . . .
    "Stein on Vine" across the street from the Musician's Union (near Vine and Melrose)
    "Studio City Music" on Ventura Blvd. west(?) of Colfax in Studio City. Paul Tonegues (spelling?)-luthier

Good Luck

7. bluegrasscat

bluegrasscat

Aug 9, 2006
    SoCal
    yes i would have to say LEMUR in capistrano and WORLD OF STRINGS in long beach.. both just great in stuff and service!!!! lemur has more nice new basses and world of strings has more used but nice basses.. cant go wrong with either..

8. +1 on the World of Strings reference. John (the owner) is a very cool guy and always has time to talk to you, even while setting a sound post.
    As previously mentioned, they have a selection of used, but very nice basses. Last time I visited, there was a one that dated to the late 1800s. Very nice!

9. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design / AER Endorsing Artist
    Studio City is still around, but Paul Toenniges died a number of years ago.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Back when I lived in L.A., she worked in a fiddle shop in Glendale that usually had a nice selection of basses. Sorry to say I can't recall the name of the place.

+1 for Lemur.

11. +1 On the World of Strings in Long Beach. They also can hook you up with a good deal on a beginner instrument, and let you
    check out the different actions and setups for the style of music you want to play.

You will also get to see,feel,and hear the difference between a budget bass, and a professional bass.

The last time I was in, they were setting up a bass for Larry Carter!!

I got to play it, and really felt unworthy. Good luck.

12. +1 World of strings. That is where I get my work done . John and Ralph are way cool.
    B

13. andrewc4000

andrewc4000 Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    just don't have them rehair your bow

14. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    ok cool thanks everyone. Im heading to san fransisco tomorrow and hopefully get to make some stops or at least check out Lemur while im out and about.

Studio City music isn't too far i'll probably check them out today if i have time.

Does anyone know if any of these places have Rent-To-Own programs/deals n such?

thanks

15. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    If you're heading to San Francisco, then there's quite a few more options as well...

16. I think you mean Metzlers Violin shop in Glendale.
    Has anyone here had any experience with LA Bass Works? I'm going to check them out this weekend.

17. LA Bassworks is Lisa Gass' shop and it is wonderful. I was just in the four days ago--full disclosure, she has taken back my Eastman hybrid to sell for me because I've bought a LaScala hybrid--and it is full of instruments. Lisa sold me the Eastman and she did a fantastic setup job on it for me. I like the other shops mentioned as well, but you can't go wrong with Lisa. She is honest, reputable and does excellent repair and set-up work.

18. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lisa is the best of the best - and consequently is extremely busy.

Her shop is not really a 'sales' type place (one of the reasons I like it) - she will let you try the basses she has while she continues to work in the back, and is very low key and low-pressure.

She mostly caters to the top-end pros and working musicians, and a complete novice might do well to take a knowledgeable friend or teacher to try out basses, but one of the things I like best about visiting L.A. Bassworks is that no matter who you are Lisa genuinely treats you like you are her very best customer. That doesn't happen at many places.

Oh, and she's a pretty good player too :bassist:

Andy

19. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA

+1 here. They do great work, and I must say, the prices are great. Just don't ask for wheel adjusters.

20. Does John not like adjustable bridges?