Upright stores in Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassTerd, Dec 19, 2005.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Are there any stores in the los angeles area that carry a selection of Uprights and accessories?
  2. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Stine On Vine (M.K. Stine Music) on Vine St. in Hollywood, across from Musicians Union building. 323 467-7341 ask for Gary Stine.
    World Of Strings in Long Beach, sorry, you will need to look up their number. Ask for Jon Pederson.
    Both of these stores have basses for sale, amps, strings, pick-ups and most other bass stuff for sale. They do good repair work too.
    Lisa Gass, at Los Angeles Bass Works is a dedicated luthier, who has made quite a name for herself. She does exceptional work. World class, IMHO. Many of the finest double basses in town have been worked on at one time or another by Lisa. She does have some basses for sale from time to time.
    323 953-5122.
    I've had good experiances buying both Gary and Jon and having work done by all three of them. Lisa, most recently did a terrific job setting up my new Shen. They are all great people who care very much about basses and bass players. None of them are getting rich off of what they do, yet they are providing a invaluable service for the bass playing community in Southern CA.
    To the best of my knowlage, these are the only double bass shops in the greater Los Angeles area. They deserve all the patronage that we here in the area can give them. We'd be lost without them. The only times I buy on line is when I need something they don't have or I'm out of town and just can't wait.
  3. Thank you for the info Mike. Not my thread but I can use the info.
  4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Considering his inventory and reputation, it would be worth your while to take a ride down to Lemur Music in San Juan Capistrano and visit Jerry Buffa. Say "Hi" for me.
  5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Seconds on all four dealer/lutheriers - all are reputable, good people to work with.