1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upright Strings.. rock a billy.. and beyond

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kobilly, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Kobilly

Kobilly Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Annapolis MD
    Sooo...after 30 plus years on electric I have decided to get an upright (it had something to do with going to Viva Las Vegas..lol)

I am wondering what strings are the best for me, I am dead set on slapping that rockabilly sound so I am sure I need some form of gut string...but I also will be playing a bit of bluegrass and some jazz soul gigs....

What do you recommend...
    lots of wood shedding ahead for me before gigging this thing

2. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    Krivo Pickups - uncompensated endorser
    4/4 spirocore solo tuned down to orchestral pitch. Soft and dark enough for a pleasing slap sound and feel, but versatile enough to not hold you back learning pizz and arco. Works well with both magnetic and piezo pickups, and are very durable. Gut is great and I think you should try it down the line, but they are not what I would recommend to a DB beginner.

Kobilly and Reiska like this.
  3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I highly recommend innovation silver slaps. The gauge will be good for beginner slapping and they have that air of a gut (ish) that you probably want. You can find them here in the classifieds now and again

Kobilly likes this.
  4. Incidentally, Sam has a brand new set for sale. :)

Steve Boisen likes this.
  5. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    To be fair, Silver / Golden Slaps are an awesome pizz / slap hybrid string. The gauge is thick but not huge and/or uneven like gut sets, and the bottoms have enough definition for pizz (at least until they go completely dead.) The tension is low enough for 3 hour slap gigs, and the tone is nice and woody like gut after they break in. New, they can sound a little plastic-y (because they are!) They are poor arco strings, but not completely unbowable like the supernils. Mine lost a lot of their goodness at around the one year mark and became very quiet and dead, but that’s par for the course with perlon core strings and they aren’t spendy compared to Tomastik, Pirastro, and real gut options. The nylon wrap is easy on the fingerboard compared to steel, which is nice if you know you’re going to be slapping a lot.

One warning on these- For pizz, they don’t quite have the note center and easy to hear pitch that Spirocores have, and that’s a definite downside for a novice player. Still, if the thin steel Spiros sound unappealing to you, and you know you aren’t going to use a magnetic pickup, the innovation Slaps are a good option. Just stay away from weedwackers or all plain gut sets if you want to play styles other than slap.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  6. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    That is true. Though I didn't mean to advertise (sorry). I used them for 1 month when I needed to play slap and I was very please with them. Before I had tried gut mixed with Evah slaps. A full set of Evah slaps synthetic and the rotosounds. I found the innovations were very nice and highly recommend them.

Kobilly and Francois Blais like this.
  7. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    I liked the Evah Slap synthetic set a lot, too. They had a lot of the positive features of the innovation Slaps but more bowable. Unfortunately, i found the aluminum wrapped G string very fragile and prone to unwrapping (I think I went through 3 in less than a year and a half?!) and Pirastro customer service didn’t care much. However, I did like the synthetic EAD with the Evah Slap gut G. It felt and played almost identically the much more expensive Carlos Chorda G they make, very high quality. Perfectly balanced set with a lot of gut sound for a good price, and a great way to dip your toes in the gut waters IMO.

Kobilly and Sam Dingle like this.
  8. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

Just to be sure from the folks who posted about Innovation super slaps..... they do settle and sound less plasticky after a while? I've used the strings a few times but I've always take them off because I thought they just aren't close enough to gut. They don't have that same tight slap sound. That's said if they just need time......

Kobilly likes this.
  9. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans

I liked them at the end of my time with them. Which was 2 months average 2. Hours a day

ERIC A likes this.
  10. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    I’ve found that once the innovation Slaps age enough to start to get that nice “thunk” for slap they’re more or less toast for pizz. The innovation Slaps are big improvements over wackers and supernils, but I think the synthetic Evah Slaps are better strings in almost every way, particularly when mixed with the plain gut G. That nice woody clack is there from day one with no nylon twang.

11. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    if its not allowed to post facebook links let me know. But here is a promo video from when I was in Million Dollar Quartet and while the playing isn't anything spectacular I did find that I enjoyed the slap sound of these. These are silver slaps that are a month old at this point and used heavily.

Kobilly and HateyMcAmp like this.
  12. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

Unfortunately it's not showing up.
    Unfortunately the link is not showing up on the page. If you can send it to my email address ericshramek@gmail.com or send me a link via Facebook..... Eric shramek from Baltimore. That would be greatly appreciated!

13. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
  14. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    +1 for downtuned solo 4/4 Spirocores. They can be plucked, slapped and bowed. They only get better with age, and further down the road you can try different stuff on top of your E and A, or E only. Plain guts work really well with them, and you still have a setup that is capable of everything.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  15. Kobilly

Kobilly Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Annapolis MD
    Well...thanks for all the input guys....
    A set of new supernils fell into my hands (the price was right) so i guess I am going to give that a go....this will be a long learning process so I'll update now and then.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  16. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Enjoy the journey. I'll save some real gut for when you finally cave lol

HateyMcAmp and Kobilly like this.
  17. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    Supernils were the first fake gut string, or at least the earliest that remains on the market. They are the Hyundai Accent to the weedwacker’s scooter-with-lawnmower-enegine-attached. I had a set I got for $30 when I was bassless in Europe that I brought over on the airplane. I put them on my $600 Thomann 111E, and they didn’t sound awful. Lots of problems with these strings, with a downright bizarre feel (which you may like if you’re a roundwound guy) but they don’t SOUND bad on the right bass. They still make them after all these years for a reason!

Kobilly likes this.