1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright style playing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fresh Cream, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Fresh Cream

Fresh Cream

Mar 2, 2011
    Melbourne
    Hey everyone
    When I play bass, I tend to play in an upright style(with my fretting hand), it's a little cumbersome for bass guitar and I'm trying to iron it out so I can play more like a guitarist would.
    Any tips?

2. MikeBC

MikeBC

Oct 28, 2009
    Playing a walking line as if you were on a double bass can be fun. In the right time and place it can be good showmanship.

As to your dilemma... Have you ever seen these guys that play with the axe slung low on their bodies with the neck pointing down? A specific one does not come to mind but they are out there.

Begin your practice sessions as you currently do. Halfway through stop. Adjust your strap and play in that low position with the neck pointing downward.

After some time, days, weeks, divide your practice sessions in thirds or fourths. Play in you upright style first. Then the low-slung style. The add some more neutral positions. Adjust your strap as you go. Eventually eliminate the two extremes and just play in the more neutral positions until you find one that is comfortable and feels natural to you.

Always mind your wrist position while doing this.

Good luck.

3. Fresh Cream

Fresh Cream

Mar 2, 2011
    Melbourne
    Haha sorry I just realised how bad a description I gave of my problem. What I mean is I use 1-2-4 fretting system, and I'm wanting to move on two 4 fingers per fret, but I'm having real trouble with the pivoting etc.
    Do you have any tips? :)

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Once you are above the 5th fret, then adjust to the 4FPF rule... Later one when more advanced, the higher up the fingerboard you go, the more frets you can cover...

If you were trained an upright player, getting your 3rd finger to do the work for you is a challenge in its self.

Try making a fist and extend each finger individually on its own, out, then in, once you can move your 3rd finger on its own without the pinky going with it, your left hand will be better at 4FPF

5. Fresh Cream

Fresh Cream

Mar 2, 2011
    Melbourne
    Yeah, I've been playing upright alot longer than electric so I'm finding it a real challenge in using my third finger at all, there is just no strength in it like there is in the other ones!

I can sort of move my third individually but it's just alot harder.

6. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Unless I'm doing runs or something quick I always play 1-2-4, and honestly I don't see a problem with it. If it works for you then why does it matter?

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    my feeling exactly...