Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upright tecnhiques on freltess electric.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by WillBuckingham, Oct 31, 2005.

1. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Hi I'm wondering of those of you who picked up fretless electric after studying upright, who uses a 3-finger simandel-type approach on fretless? I find that the spacing up until about the fiifth "fret" on my 34" scale fretless is a little too big for a one-finger-per-fret system, so I've just been using the 1,2,4 simandle approach. I play much more openly in higher positions (towards the bridge end) - pretty much whatever I can reach.

Thoughts?

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I think if it works for you and you're comfortable with it, you're doing well.
    I've studied Simandl and Rabbath, and others...over time I've taken bits from all of them to use at my discretion. It's my conclusion that while it's good to study and understand classicmethods and tehcniques, *you* must decide what bits of them serve you well.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I used upright positions when i first started playing scales on the fretless bg. I found that it made the unfamilar just a little less unfamiliar...

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I do notice when playing my 35" scale 5's, I do use teh Simandl "1-2-4" fingering more than playing a 34" 4...

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i use it mainly now for playing 6 string fretless

6. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks guys.

7. heck, I use the 1, 2, 4 approach on my fretted electric. it's probably out of habit, since I play upright at school every day, but it feels natural. I say go with what feels right.

8. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I do tend to use a my 1,2, and 4 fingers to finger stuff. Only really use that third finger when the fingering calls for it, otherwise I favor the Simandl half, whole step approach.