Upright with a cutaway

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by boombloom, Nov 12, 2004.

1. There was a rare jazz show in my tiny little town tonight. The bassist was playing an instrument with a cutaway! Never heard of such a thing before. I asked him about it. He's from Seattle and apparently this was an east coast loaner. It's a laminate. He said it really didn't make any difference in his playing. Funky looking thing though. Anyone ever seen one of these?
  2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Framus was probably the best-known maker of cutaway ply basses. Not sure exactly how long they were produced, but most I come across are from the '50s.
  3. Who was he? and more importantly, how was his playing? I'm shopping for a new teach right now...
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Our TBDB pal Humberto has a cutaway DB as well...check out his avatar pic.
  5. Humberto

Humberto Supporting Member

Hey, Marcus I'm seeing Arnold this Tuesday...

Here's my "cutaway". It's a ply made in Czech. circa 1940-1950

Once you get comfortable with the missing wood - it does get easier in upper register.
  6. I've not seen one in person, but did see a photo of one that was used as an example of a DB on a site about orchestra instruments (a rather odd example, I thought). I mentioned it in an earlier thread that digressed into strategies to ease access to thumb position. It seems like an interesting idea, but like it didn't catch on for some reason. The style of the photo I saw made me think that it was probably an instrument from the 50's. Contrary to what some people think about the 50's, there were some major modern innovations going on, particularly in musical instrument design and manufacture. Some were ahead of their time (i.e. the Gibson Explorer and Flying V.) and then some were just wild-card ideas that didn't stick for various reasons, like single cutaway DBs. For awhile I thought the photo might have been of a never-manufactured prototype. Glad you reported the actual encounter, boombloom. :)
  7. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    The Swedish Bjärton company made a laminate double bass with a cutaway in the mid 50s, the Swingmaster. They even managed to have Ray Brown endorse it in ads!

I happen to own one, you can see it if you download Bob Gollihur´s screen saver. It has a dark sunburst finish and white binding.

8. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Got to http://www.jam.se and click on "Basar, akustiska" in the left frame, then scroll down a bit. That´s a Chinese bass with a cutaway, selling for SEK 6,995 (ca $ 1,000) incl gigbag and either an adjustable bridge or a cheap bow. Comes in "vintage brown" or "metallic black". Since it´s Chinese I guess others sell them, too.

The Japanese Chaki co. also offers a bass with a cutaway, black with white binding - I´ve seen their printed catalog, and if memory serves me right it even had a magnetic pickup attached.