Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

uprite tabs

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by mrfuzzypants, May 24, 2001.

1. mrfuzzypants

mrfuzzypants Guest

May 18, 2001
    does anyone have any uprite tabs for metal,punk , phsycobilly , or rockabilly type songsmost important the tab for black no 1 by type o negative if so please email me at mistrfuzzypants@aol.com

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, oh boy, THIS thread is going on the "To Watch" list...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That would be Tabs that read up and down the page, rather than across - sort of like Chinese script?

I might have seen some Stockhausen notation a bit like this; but I'm not sure whether his music falls into these classifications......

4. Gee, no, but I might have some trombone tabs. Would that help?

5. I didn`t think you would need tab for punk etc,just decide what key it is in ,say G and follow 333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

EDIT : (JT) just modified the ole' tab there a bit to fit on the page.

Thanks JT, i`m pretty new at computering too!

6. Oh the humanity.

FF

7. Boy, between this guy and Stupid, you have to agree that we have a dumming down in the schools today. I can't wait to get back Monday to see this thread.

8. you gotta be kidding!!

tabs for an upright?! come on!!!! and besides, you would have to know where the positions are... there are no fretlines..... how are you gonna play on the 12th "fret" when there are no frets?

I can´t wait 'till Mr. Ed sees this! :D

I´m gonna turn on email notification.. ;)

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    noticing that you are new here, i will give you some friendly advice to help you on your way.

a few points.

1. it's spelled "upright". even better, it's spelled "double bass". oh, and learn standard notation.

2. there are no such things as "tabs" for upright. use standard notation.

3. "tab requests" are not related to "bassists [DB]" in any way - please use the proper forums, although i can't imagine what the proper forum for this thread would be - toss up between humor[DB] and miscellaneous[DB]. and, while we're at it, learn standard notation.

4. have i mentioned that you should learn how to read standard notation? it's really the only way to convey the proper info for an "uprite" ;) bass.

good luck

10. Yeah I have the DB tab for God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols.
    It probably is easier for me to write it so it will be easier for you.
    OK
    Start on the A string about 8 inches down fromo the nut play an eighth note then the next is an open A, yet another eighth note.
    Repeat this pattern for 4 measures.

Then D string 8 inches down, to D strings 7.5 inches down in an eighth note pattern, then back to the start. This pattern keeps repeating there is an open D as well but if you listen to the song you should be able to figure it out.

I hope you were not kidding with your original question.

:D

11. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Metal on an "uprite" - now there's a concept. What kinda distortion/fuzz box would work best on an "uprite" bass? Is the Ampeg SVT the ultimate "uprite" amp for metal? Would a fully laminate bass "uprite" be advisable? Would the tonal nuances of a carved "uprite" be lost in the metal or punk genres? Food for thought.

SENORFURRYSLACKS - the correct term players like you should use is not "uprite" it's "doghouse." It's true, ask any of the more respected rockabilly players.

The only tabs we use on this side of the board are the ones at the bar. One exception, as Don mentioned, is that we also read through trombone tabs for practice.

12. Thanks chris,thats two things i`ve learned today.
    1. what a private message is.

2. how to stretch a margin.(sorry if i spoilt the page setup)

13. Come on Edward, don't hold it all in. You need to learn how to vent your frustrations better.

14. Just to be a wise guy here for a minute and actually give a somewhat serious answer...

Isn't there a loose tradition among Suzuki students of indicating notes by a string name followed by a fingering? i.e. an F# on the D string might be indicated as D4, or a B on the A string would be A1.

I don't actually teach Suzuki myself but from time to time I come across this convention when I get a new very young student and I have a hunch it does come from the Suzuki tradition. Of course, this only works assuming we're in first position.

Anybody know anything about Suzuki?

15. mrfuzzypants

mrfuzzypants Guest

May 18, 2001
    sorry i pissed you all off but im new at the double bass im used to playing jazz bass guitar and keyboards but i thought my band would sound better if i started playing a double bass sorry if you guys think im stupid for it but like i said im new at this and i thought you tabbed it out i do realize that there are no frets but my jazz bass has no frets either and i can play that just fine with tabs so if anyone can help me i appreciate it but otherwize im getting pretty offended

16. mrfuzzypants

mrfuzzypants Guest

May 18, 2001
    and i forgot to thank the people who were actually trying to help
    thank you
    as for the rest of you .....................................................................................................................

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, sort of...my first wife was a Suzuki violin teacher, so I know a few things: they claim to teach "by ear", but what ends up happening is that most of the kids learn by rote memorization and never really learn to read. I've had the experience of taking on several 18-20something folks who've been Suzuki trained as piano students - they hit that certain age where they wanted to study jazz, and I ended up working with them. Two of them could play Mozart sonantas with flawless technique - no mean feat, if you know what I mean - but couldn't sight read the head to "C-Jam Blues" or "Blue Bossa" without hearing it first.

Make of that what you will.

SIR SHAGGY SHORTS,

i understand that youre upset and you feel that youve been roughly treated okay i can dig it but did you ever stop to consider that the likelihood of someone with a username like "mr hairy drawers" who drops into a db forum and asks some kind of question about uprite bass tabz for psycobilly and metal who uses no punctuation whatsover which makes his posts next to unintelligible is not likely to be treated very seriously i mean come on dude if youd stopped to read any of the stuff thats been posted here in the past you might have realized that you were likely to be confused for a troll which in fact is what most of us still probably believe you are since you dont seem to be making any effort whatsoever to change our minds by actually trying to make any sense because you wont use any puctuation and you have the nerve to get upset at the people here for treating your post in the way that it was just begging to be treated okay so if your not a troll and you want to be taken seriously how about putting a little effort into it whatdoyousayhowaboutit.......

18. Gee, before actually looking at this thread I thought maybe it was about bassists who are forthright in paying what they owe their corner bar in timely manner. Then I though, no, it must be about the still-erect tombstones of some long dead bassists. I'm trying real hard to overcome the shock.

19. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    And for the record, a straight answer for the original questioner:

Double bassists don't use tab. If we're working from something written, then we want it in standard notation.

You could, I suppose, almost translate what you're playing on bass guitar to db, but you'll find that the instruments are really radically different and an approach to even a simple walking bassline will be played very differently on the two instruments by the same player. For example, I have deeply ingrained into my skull the bass part to In the Mood which is a pretty basic line in Ab. Against the Ab chord, the bassline runs Ab-C-Eb-F|Ab'-F-Eb-C on quarter notes.

On DB. I played this by starting in first position, playing Ab on the E string with my fourth finger, C on the A with my second, then shifting to half position to play the rest of the line, returning to first position when the pattern reached the beginning.

On BG, I would play this starting fingering Ab with my first finger on the E string, doing a Carol Kaye-style pivot to reach C on the E string, then playing Eb F on the A string and Ab' on the G, returning as I came.

Same notes, but different idiomatic approaches to the line depending on the instrument. DB technique translates more effectively to BG than the other way around, I think. Trying to use the BG fingering on the In the Mood bass line would almost certainly result in rather wonky intonation.

So practical advice for approaching the songs on db?

1. Remember that db and bg are different instruments. Don't try and treat them as the same thing.
    2. Use your ears. If you aren't listening to what you play and how it fits in with what the rest of the band is playing, you'll never sound good.
    3. Realize that db players communicate with standard notation, not with tab. And that reading music is an invaluable skill for any musician to have.

-dh

20. mrfuzzypants

mrfuzzypants Guest

May 18, 2001
    thanx that was the best description ive gotten. i can read most types of music charts i just have to relearn how to read sheet music its been years.